Where To Begin?

Decorating By cakeshoppe Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 6:14pm by cakeshoppe

cakeshoppe Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have read lots of different things about refrigerating or freezing or cooling...and filling and weighing it down, crumb coat it then freeze refrigerate or let stand....

Okay...s0....I want to cover a cake in fondant.

It is done baking...I take it out of the oven.....now what?

Any tips would be great!!!

2 replies
dinascakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 3

First, You HAVE TO let it cool!! I usually let it sit in the fridge over night and frost it the next day. If I am going to carve it in some way for a 3-D cake, then I freeze it over night and then carve and frost it the next day. Once frosted, I let it sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes or so while I roll out the fondant. Once covered with fondant, then I usually leave it out, unless it has something like fruit or cream in the middle. Then I refrigerate it until delivery or pick up. You should be ok with that. HTH Good luck!

cakeshoppe Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 3

I knew it had to cool, it was just how, that everyone has a different opinion of.

How long do I leave it in the pan before I take it out? Do I let it cool completely on the counter before sticking it in the fridge?

Do I fill it and weigh it down some(so the sides don't bulge under the fondant) and then crumb coat it and freeze or refrigerate before the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%