Is Paraffin Wax Edible?

Sugar Work By letsgetcaking Updated 20 Dec 2010 , 4:26am by 7yyrt

letsgetcaking Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am planning to dip some truffles in chocolate this week, but I just have chocolate chips on hand. A friend of mine gave me some grated paraffin wax and said it would make the melted chocolate thinner and smoother. I read online that paraffin wax is an older method and possibly not a good idea to use.

My question is, is it okay to use paraffin wax?
Is there anything else I could add to the chocolate to make it coat better?

Thanks for any ideas you can share.

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 9

Although it is non-toxic, paraffin wax is not what I consider edible. To me, edible is something that is digestible and provides some nutrient or energy value to the body. Paraffin wax will not poison you, but the body does not digest it, either.

It thins the chocolate, making it more suitable for coating, keeping the chocolate shiny and delays blooming.

It is not an ingredient I choose to use. I use Guittard covetures for filled molds and coated chocolate candies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ShihTzuMom Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 9

I have used paraffin wax for years with semi sweet chips for coating peanutbutter balls. It dries to a shiny finish but does not affect the taste.

dchockeyguy Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

It's been used for years for things. Personally, I'm not a fan of it, but that's just me. But honestly, you should be okay using it.

letsgetcaking Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you all so much for the replies! I'm grateful that it is possible to use and not toxic, just because I don't have the time to shop for anything else before I use it. In the future, I will look for the chocolate you recommended, playingwithsugar. Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:33am
post #6 of 9

Paraffin wax is non-toxic but not classified as edible.

In order to thin chocolates that will firm up hard & shiny, you use paramount crystals, available online and at some cake deco shops.

If you don't mind slightly softer, duller chocolate, you can thin with crisco or vegetable oil.


7yyrt Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 9

How about beeswax?

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 9

Yes, beeswax is edible, but not digestable--just slides thru, I guess. icon_eek.gif

It's kinda chewy--think the wax lips and teeth we used to chew on at Halloween.

Sadly, for chocolate purposes, it has a very high melting point--about 145 degrees F--and it discolors at higher temps.

You'd scorch your chocolate or candy melts long before you'd get the desired results.


7yyrt Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:26am
post #9 of 9

Ah, thanks much.
I'm not the best at sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%