Bake Huggers - Hsn Homemade Millionaire

Decorating By leily Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm by leah_s

leily Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 19

Just wondering if anyone purchased these Bake huggers when they were on HSN. I saw the episode of Homemade Millionaire when she won, but missed them on HSN to see more about them.

just curious if anyone has used them yet and if they were worth the cost. To me it seems fairly easy to make with all of the cutting machines out there now, expecially since it's just rice paper, but sometimes buying things from somewhere else is just easier.

here is a link to them on HSN if anyone missed them on either show.
http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/bake-huggers-edible-baking-liners-santa-and-candy-cane-48-pack_pf-108816_xp.aspx?cm_re=Article-_-HomemadeMillionaire-_-shopNow2

18 replies
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 19

just looked, they are sold out! so someone ordered them! wonder how they work? i seem to remember someone asking about something like this in one of the forums a couple wks ago. if anyone uses them let me know how they turn out!

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 19

Yep, reading the ingredients, it looks like they're basically printed wafer paper/rice paper cups.

I can see cutting wrappers on a machine, but having to make bottoms, adhere them, and have them hold batter.............a lot of fiddley work.

My opinion is that at nearly .50/ea., they're pricey and quite honestly, I don't like the texture or flavor of wafer/rice paper, so I'd tear it off anyway, wasting it.

JMHO
rae

shanney54 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:38am
post #4 of 19

I remember on the show she said that they were made from potatoes.

neelycharmed Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:57am
post #5 of 19

very interesting... but if I told my clients that they were made out of potato, they probably wouldn't want it (even though you can't taste it)
Jodi

-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 19

But they're just a bottomless wrapper--no bottom on the wrapper right? So it's just cake on the bottom? You have to use pan release or something? I'm not totally getting it.

http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/bake-huggers-edible-baking-liners-santa-and-candy-cane-48-pack_pf-108816_xp.aspx?cm_re=Article-_-HomemadeMillionaire-_-shopNow2

leily Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 19

K8memphis - yea your correct there is no bottom. So greasing the pan and trying to keep the bottom of the cupcake from drying out would be some issues to contend with.

I think it's a novel concept, and making them myself with an edible printer i think they could be an interesting selling point since they'd be customizable, but wanted to get some feed back from other cakers.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yep, reading the ingredients, it looks like they're basically printed wafer paper/rice paper cups.

I can see cutting wrappers on a machine, but having to make bottoms, adhere them, and have them hold batter.............a lot of fiddley work.

My opinion is that at nearly .50/ea., they're pricey and quite honestly, I don't like the texture or flavor of wafer/rice paper, so I'd tear it off anyway, wasting it.

JMHO
rae

ditto

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Debi2 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 19

I would think these work like the reg. cupcake wraps you can get in the stores (or make)....only they are edible. You put them on after the cupcakes are baked. Just my guess icon_biggrin.gif

leily Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi2

I would think these work like the reg. cupcake wraps you can get in the stores (or make)....only they are edible. You put them on after the cupcakes are baked. Just my guess icon_biggrin.gif

actually you bake right in them. You use these as your liners. I think that is what intrigued me so much, one less step than the cupcake wraps

Debi2 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 19

Wow....interesting!

haribala Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 19

Cake paper plate also formed from Paper cup machine i saw it on, the industry area

leily Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribala

Cake paper plate also formed from Paper cup machine i saw it on, the industry area

their cups are made out of wood pulp though... i wouldn't want to eat that, i'm guessing these are similiar to the regular cupcake liners on the market?

haribala Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 19

yes your right

MollyGirl_17 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:11am
post #15 of 19

I didn't get to see the show, but I don't understand these wrappers. The wrapper is where the baker holds them up to move them, decorate them; where the party hostess grabs to move them from the box to the table, etc. Why would I want to eat that? I just don't get it. I use a knife and server to cut/serve cake so as not to touch it, so why would I want to eat a cupcake wrapper handled by 2 or 3 people? If I'm missing something, please explain...

cupcake_cutie Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 6:43am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGirl_17

I didn't get to see the show, but I don't understand these wrappers. The wrapper is where the baker holds them up to move them, decorate them; where the party hostess grabs to move them from the box to the table, etc. Why would I want to eat that? I just don't get it. I use a knife and server to cut/serve cake so as not to touch it, so why would I want to eat a cupcake wrapper handled by 2 or 3 people? If I'm missing something, please explain...

That's a good point. thumbs_up.gif

SHADDI Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:05am
post #17 of 19

TV Show:

bestcupcakemom Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 19

I happened to watch Homemade Millionaire and thought this was a great concept for baking! The illustrations make decorating so easy and the edible side of it is just so neat, no waste!

Handling baked goods occurs quite often... I for one do not wear gloves when making cookies, pastries, placing cookies, pastries, brownies,... on a plate.

The idea is a great one and when I tried to order them, the people spoke, they were sold out!

I wish the inventor the best success.

leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 19

You should definitely wear gloves when handling ready to eat food. Around here it's a HD requirement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%