Cake Board Covers.

Decorating By justdessertsbyyesi Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 3:18am by karencuppycake

justdessertsbyyesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdessertsbyyesi Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

How do I foil and make the cake boards thick ? Not like the ones that is taught at the wilton class. I am looking for the nice thick ones.

5 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 6

At a cake supply store or online, you can get cake boards that are about 1/2in thick and pre-covered in white, gold or silver.

If you want to make your own thicker board, you can stack 2 or 3 regular cake boards. Crisscross the pattern of the corrugated cardboard. Tape or glue them together. You can also use foam core from the craft store. Once it as thick as you want, cover it with foil from the cake supply or craft store.

Kristy

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 6

I've bought a few masonite cake boards (1/2 inch thick) from GlobalSugar art... I did that before I realized I could go to my local home depot and have them cut me the same thing!

I like the thicker boards as it creates a sturdier base for my cakes and also allows for a nice ribbon trim to be glued on.

I've also hot glued 3 cake boards together (that I bought at my local party store) to give me the width/thickness that I needed.

HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

Perhaps you're looking for cake drums. Just google it and many suppliers will appear.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #5 of 6

Pre-covered cake drums can be pricey, so for squares you might consider 1/2 inch foam core covered in foil. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

karencuppycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karencuppycake Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:18am
post #6 of 6

Here is a REALLY useful video on how to cut and cover a cake board with foil!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrLg55cDkAE&feature=related
HTH! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%