Fondant Flowers

Decorating By lakish Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm by lakish

lakish Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 14

Iam new to fondant. made some flowers with buttercream flavored mmf recipe from this site. dried them on my counter overnight. they are bone dry in the morning. they are very brittle. what did i do wrong? usually will the flowers be soft after drying? i greatly appreciate any help.

13 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 14

They're very fragile. You have to be careful with them. Some people add tylose to the fondant.

kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 14

How dry and fragile fondant flowers get depends on how thin and what flower it is.
Most of the time one does not use fondant for intricatly(sp?) shaped flowers. Usually fondant is used for cut-outs - much as one would make cut-out cookies that are placed flat on the cake or just cupped and maybe ruffled a bit.

HamSquad Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 14

What type of flower did you make? Did you use tylose or gumtex to help them keep their shape? I typically make fondant flowers, at first, I had difficulties working with gumpaste just for same thing you are experiencing with the fondant. Fondant flowers do dry to be a bit stiff or firm. Again, like every one previous to my post have said, they can be brittle depending on the thinness of the petal. I mainly use Wilton fondant to make my flowers and use the MMF to cover my cakes. HTH

lakish Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 14

Thank you very much for your replies. I made daisies and lillies. as i sad i never worked with fondant and was expecting the flowers to be soft after they dried. so, if we cover the cake with mmf will it dry too? what do we need to do to make it stay soft on the cake while we decorate?

HamSquad Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 14

It will firm up, but not hard like the flowers. The flowers harden because of the thinness of the petals and the addition of a hardener like tylose or gumtex. While working the cake and you want it to stay soft to do other decorations, ie quilting, cover the cake lightly in plastic wrap. Once finish let air dry. Again, it will be soft, but firm to the touch, it feels kind of chewwy in texture, but wonderful with the creaminess of the buttercream frosting underneath, ok, I'm drooling icon_lol.gif , I love Fondant/BC cakes. I just don't know enough people who do, they just like BC. HTH

lakish Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #7 of 14

Thanks. now i get it. thumbs_up.gif i made a big batch of mmf and was worried i have to throw everything away. thanks for saving my day. icon_biggrin.gif

HamSquad Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:05am
post #8 of 14

Great Lakish, now go and have fun with that MMF cake. Have a wonderful holiday!

nancyg Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #9 of 14

I think they would work better made from gumpaste..See if you like that better

lakish Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 4:53am
post #10 of 14

yes. i will try gumpaste. thanks.

cakesmart Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 14

I love to make fondant roses, but I do add a little gum-tex to firm up the fondant a bit.

HamSquad Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:21am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmart

I love to make fondant roses, but I do add a little gum-tex to firm up the fondant a bit.

I do too cakesmart, I've even made stargazer lilies with fondant. I too just add a little gumtex to the fondant and I can get a real nice thin petal to mold. I just made gumpaste from scratch using gumtex, it worked great on my first attempt with making carnations. However, still had problems with getting a real thin petal for my roses, like I can with the fondant.

cdgleason Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 14

My favorite aspect of cake decorating is making gumpaste flowers!!
I like...no.. I LOVE, the Nicholas Lodge recipe for home made fondant!!
Try the Nicholas Lodge recipe and see how that works for your flowers!! I'm pretty sure the recipe is here on cake central!!
There are also some absolutley fabulous and FREE tutorials on this websight:
http://www.artandappetite.com/tutorials/
good luck!

lakish Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 14

thanks every one for your suggestions

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%