Tools/tips For Hand-Cut Cookies?

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 6:14am by soledad

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 4

I know there are so many of you out there who hand-cut regularly and my hat is off to you!

I have had 3 separate times in the last month when I ordered cutters that did not arrive in time or arrived and were not what I planned (much smaller than what I needed!) and I ended up hand-cutting the shapes from images I printed from the computer.

My primary frustration (aside from the additional time it took me!) is that I don't get a straight edge and curves are really tough - my cookies are thick (3/8" uncooked) and the x-acto I'm using can easily go into the dough at an angle.

Any suggestions on a better tool to use than an x-acto blade (#11)?

Any other suggestions for easier/nicer looking hand-cut cookies?
Thanks!!

3 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 4

I use a sharp paring knife, and it seems to work pretty well. Once the cookie has been cut, I tap the edges smooth with my finger. In tight areas where a finger can't fit, I will use the point of the knife. It takes a bit of extra work, but it has to be done if I want clean edges.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 4

I do the same thing Gemini mentioned.... I also find that the colder the dough, the cleaner the cuts. I like to have the dough rolled and in the fridge for several hours or over night before I hand-cut.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 6:14am
post #4 of 4

Go to kimsmom76 photostream in flickr she shows the tools she uses, which I will be buying pretty soon! I got 5 gift card for MICHAELS icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I will tyry to post link...HTH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48295109@N08/4988377131/in/photostream/
CIAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%