Black Americolor Turned Mouth's Black!!

Decorating By holliellen Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 5:17am by indydebi

holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone had this problem. I had used black buttercream on a cake and not a ton of color but it kind of tinted peoples teeth and mouth's and my lips a little black. It wore off pretty quickly but I was surprised.

13 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 14

Yeah, it's like eating any other food with food coloring in it - lollipops, popsicles - the color will bleed onto the lips and tongue.

Personally, I think it's half the fun.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 14

any dark colors are going to turn a mouth colors. Red, black, dark blue, even green will do it. It's the nature of the beast. Not really a way around it, even if you airbrush the color on so there's not as much it's still going to color your tongue or lips.

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 14

Fun! I had that with a Mickey Mouse. It was great and the children loved it!

holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 14

Well at least now I know! It was at party/demonstration and the lady demonstrating had a black mouth and I dont even think she knew it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

Well at least now I know! It was at party/demonstration and the lady demonstrating had a black mouth and I dont even think she knew it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Were you able to keep a straight face?

Debbie B.

holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 14

Yeah I did! Some of the other people had them too but said it tasted so good it was worth it.

cupadeecakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 14

And coloring your mouth is only half the fun! icon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

And coloring your mouth is only half the fun! icon_lol.gif

Ain't that the truth! I have taken to explaining in no uncertain terms what effect deep coloured buttercream (green, blue, purple, black etc) is going to have in the bathroom the next day to the customers that insist on it icon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 14

The acid of a lemon will clean it right off. If I have a bride with dark colors especially, I recommend they have a bowl of lemon wedges and turn their backs to their guests and bite into it before they smile for a picture. It's quick and easy.

DeeDelightful Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

The acid of a lemon will clean it right off. If I have a bride with dark colors especially, I recommend they have a bowl of lemon wedges and turn their backs to their guests and bite into it before they smile for a picture. It's quick and easy.

Great advice. I hadn't thought of that....In any other situation, it's fun to pretend the icing is lipstick. Just don't pretend by yourself...have others to look stupid with you.

aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Great advice. I hadn't thought of that....In any other situation, it's fun to pretend the icing is lipstick. Just don't pretend by yourself...have others to look stupid with you.

Oh I don't know why, but I never tell other "party cake" purchasers. I figure it's not THAT important if a childs mouth is colored at a birthday party, in fact, it's fun and cute! But a bride in a bright white dress with a greenish black smile, not so cute.

Ruth0209 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:21am
post #13 of 14

That's why I absolutely, positively refuse to make cakes with buttercream in dark colors. It's hard to get the color dark enough, it changes the consistency of the buttercream, and coloring all your wedding guests' mouths is NOT cool.

indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:17am
post #14 of 14

yeah, the coloring side effect is pretty normal. Made soccer cookies for my granddaughter's birthday and she and her friends loved showing us their colored lips and teeth!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%