Help!!! How Can I Do This?

Decorating By tdenham Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 10:22pm by tdenham

tdenham Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 6

OK, I have a client that wants a cake in the shape of a Miller Lite can with a swimming pool in the top of it and the Miller Lite logo in the bottom of the pool (like a pool liner). The only way I can really think of to do this is to "dig" the pool out of the top of the cake and make the logo out of fondant and place inside as a pool liner. How do I then make the pool look like it has water in it. If I tint piping gel blue and fill the pool with it, will it make my logo in the bottom look too blurry?? I don't have time to test and see, so any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks!

5 replies
KristyCakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 6

What about making the whole cut out portion blue fondant (like a blue liner) and then have a darker logo? Then you could fill with clear piping gel... May still look too blurry though?

cownsj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 6

I would do the logo, try tinting the gel, but you only need a tiny thin layer of the gel.

sadsmile Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 6

You can make it shallow or just deep enough for half an inch or so of gel. I would line the hole with whatever shade of blue you want the water to look like and make your logo as crisp and clean as possible and put clear or very lightly tinted gel in. I would also experiment after it is filled with smooth water or wavy water.

cownsj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 6

You can also thin the gel slightly which might allow you to see through it easier. I use tonic water and it makes the gel taste much better.

tdenham Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everybody! I didn't realize you could thin the gel...I will definitely try that. I also agree that a shallow pool will be the way to go! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%