Writing On Cakes

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 11:53pm by microbiology1

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 15

Howdy,

What are your best tips for writing on cakes? I have tried everything that I have heard of since I started:

Thin icing
Thin icing with gel added to it

Do you have any other tried and true methods?

Thank you to all of you wonderful decorators. icon_smile.gif

Christy

14 replies
adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 15

I have 2 tricks that I use for wrinting and printing on cakes. I use this myself and I also teach it in my Wilton classes.
I always have a piece of wax paper beside my cake when I go to write on it. I will write out everything I need to say on the wax paper first. This tells me how much room I need to write on this cake, how big a tip I should use, and whether my icing is the right consisitency.
I always write on my cake with the background color first, for example white on white, then overpipe it in the color I need. That way if you amke a mistake you can catch it before you do it in color.
O also lay a piece of thread acroos the top of my cake hook it in the sides of my cake and I then have a straight line to write on. Remove it when you are finished and carry on decorating
Hope this helps

Adamsgama

elainer44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainer44 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 15

Great tips. Thanks!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 15

My tip is simple...practice, practice, and more practice.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 15

I use a battery operated laser level to make sure I am writing straight on the cake (get it in the tool dept. - they're like $10.) No marks on the cake that way!

I also figure out the center letter, put that on, and go out from either direction so I know it is centered.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 15

I use my kopycake projector!

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 15

I use fondant letter cutters whenever possible (I love my funky alphabet tappits, and you can get them from amazon.com or globalsugarart). When I must use frosting, I sometimes use the technique I read about here http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666968-perfect.html+font

Basically you print out the message on a piece of paper--you can make your printer print in reverse so you can skip a step mentioned in the linked forum. Then you put it down on a flat surface like a small cookie sheet, cover it with wax paper, and trace the lettering with frosting or royal icing. Put it in the freezer for a while, then take the wax paper (with the now frozen lettering) and press it onto the cake. It will leave an imprint, which you can now use as a guide to pipe your message.

It's a bit time consuming, but it does help a lot!!!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you all for your tips. icon_smile.gif

Christy

josweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweets Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgama

O also lay a piece of thread acroos the top of my cake hook it in the sides of my cake and I then have a straight line to write on. Remove it when you are finished and carry on decorating

This is a phenomenal tip - thank you!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 15

I Use tappits as well. My handwriting on and off cakes is terrible. I've also found I prefer lettering on the board instead of the cake unless it's a traditional sheet cake.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgama

I always have a piece of wax paper beside my cake when I go to write on it. I will write out everything I need to say on the wax paper first. This tells me how much room I need to write on this cake, how big a tip I should use, and whether my icing is the right consisitency.
I always write on my cake with the background color first, for example white on white, then overpipe it in the color I need. That way if you amke a mistake you can catch it before you do it in color.

great ideas thumbs_up.gif -I find writing on cakes my least favorite part of decorating.

Cupcakeavenue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeavenue Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

I use my kopycake projector!

always wondered how people did hundreds of cakes that all looked identical.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 15

love the thread idea!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 15

I use the Kopy Kake projector. Make my words on the computer, any font I want. Pop it into the KK and trace away. I can center the words anywhere..... make them any size.... PERFECT everytime!

I've been using that method for a very long time.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 15

Love, love, love the thread and laser level ideas! It's amazing how someone just needs to point out the glaringly obvious sometimes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%