How To Stack And Transport A Level Cake

Decorating By esq1031 Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm by ConfectionsCC

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 14

I have been doing more stacked cakes lately and have been coming across a problem. I have been working with two tiers only so far and have a three tiered cake coming up in January and need to master this before then. I find that my cakes appear level, then when i go to stack them they lean a little to one side. What is the trick to this? i know to dowel the lower level to keep the top from sinking, but how do you keep the top layer straight? Does putting a dowel through both layers help? Please advise.

13 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 14

You have to have support under each tier. Make sure your dowels are the very same height and the height should be based on the lowest spot on your cake.

Personally, I use SPS and it's always level.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 14

Check to make sure that your work surface is level using a bubble level from a hardware store. Then make sure that each tier is level. I found that my table was not level but my countertop is level. If the tiers are not level it will be more pronounced when they are stacked. A center dowel will not help with the uneven cakes, that only is to help keep the layers in place once stacked.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 14

Two videos.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 14

Here is a cake I just did this weekend. 11 layers of cake. A board for every 2 layers of cake. I use bubble tea straw for support, and a center dowel once it was all stacked. (see the level on the top in the bare cake pic?) Make sure EACH tier is level before adding the next. Be sure to cut all dowels for each tier the SAME length. This was a tall cake, and it was perfectly straight - even after transport!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1891540

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 14

I use an Agbay and SPS. Always level, always straight. Easy to transport.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 14

Agbay here too! (it is even in the background on the bare cake!) I still check with the level to make sure each tier is spot on - the filling can sometimes affect the top layer...using the level just verifies that it is perfect.

Using a Cake safe, you don't have to purchase the SPS for each cake.

Mary0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary0321 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 14

I am newer here.. and I never know what the initials are for... I have learned some.. I dont know what Agbay or SPS is..... ?

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 14

Agbay:

esq1031 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try using a bubble level and the SPS system. You guys are great and I love all of your work. I am so grateful for this forum!

esq1031 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 14

Unfortunately I cannot afford to get an agbay at this time. Has anyone used the new Wilton Ultimate folding cake level? It is obviously not an industrial quality item, but will it do the trick?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq1031

Unfortunately I cannot afford to get an agbay at this time. Has anyone used the new Wilton Ultimate folding cake level? It is obviously not an industrial quality item, but will it do the trick?

I have had very bad luck with the Wilton folding cake leveler. You could use a large knife to level your cakes right in the pan.

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 14

I've heard bad stuff about that Wilton folding cake leveler. Because it folds in the middle, it doesn't cut straight sometimes. I wouldn't buy it.

Fat Daddio just came out with one that seems to be good. I plan on getting it, since I don't need an agbay for the occasional baking I do.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25495&name=Professional%20Cake%20Leveler%20by%20Fat%20Daddio's

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq1031

I bought the smaller wilton cake leveler just the other day, It works great for smaller cakes, but I still use my trusty serrated knife for the larger ones! I always have trouble making that first cut into the cake with it, it wants to like bend up and go over the top of the cake because its flexible...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%