Should I Buy Plastic Decorating Tips For Kids'?

Decorating By FullHouse Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm by FullHouse

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 7

I'm ordering so more supplies for my cake decorating parties. I am contemplating whether I would be better off using the plastic tips for the kids parties. My thought is that kids aren't going to need the precision of the metal tips, the plastic are much cheaper for me to buy (since i will need 15 of each tip) and that if the kids smash the tops of the tips I won't be worried about them bending the metal ones.

I've only ever used the round plastic tip that comes with the Wilton Gingerbread kit, that worked fine. My concern is if the plastic star or petal tips work ok. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 7

Do the plastic ones work with couplers? Will you be able to easily change tips on a certain color?

I don't see any problem with just round tips, but the star tips and leaf tips I think I'd rather have metal.

FullHouse Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

The plastic one I have from the gingerbread kit does fit with a coupler. I'm going to be using them for kids cake decorating parties, 8-12 kids per party. The metal will cost me $66.75 for the sets I need, the plastic is $31.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 7

What about durability? If the plastic ones get broken and you have to replace them you won't be saving any money.
I have never used a plastic tip so I don't know how tough they are. Just thought I would throw that possibility out there
for you to consider.

FullHouse Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not sure about the durability of them, as I haven't really used them much. Does anyone know about that?

The cost I typed before isn't exactly accurate, the plastic are $5 for 25 of them (have to buy in sets of 25 per size) and the metal are $2.75 or $3.75 for sets of 5.
Plastic = .20 each; metal are .55-.75 each. The $31 & $66 would be my initial purchase.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7

Don't waste your money on plastic tips unless you want something disposable or you'll let the kids keep them. If you are letting them use your supplies and you will be reusing them again, the kids can't damage the tips unless they use a garbage disposal!

FullHouse Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice. I was going back and forth so much on it because of the price difference. Glad to know that I'm not wasting $ by purchasing the metal tips. Just ordered a whole load of them from DecoPac.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%