Scared (Wedding Cake To Do)

Decorating By learningtodecorate Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 1:50pm by leafO

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 15

Well I was asked to do a wedding cake for January 22nd, I am so scared I have never done a wedding cake, and I dont wont to mess up anyone's special day. I'm so scared I haven't been able to sleep lately, last night when I did go to sleep I woke up cause I had a nightmare about the cake. I really wont to back out cause I very scared, but I know I can do the design.
My question you all you you out there that do wedding cakes how do you get over the fear of doing them?
As well they wont the cake four inches high, so was going to make two two inches cakes fill then stack, then put the fondant on top, but I wondering will the cake sink by the cake being moist and the fondant on top?
Maybe this will help They wont a four tier cake four inches high pinapple flavor with buttercream filling, covered in buttercream and fondant with different size circle's on it made out of fondant. They wont all the cakes stacked two being round, and two being square.
I know how to do the supports for the cakes? My fear is that the two cakes will sink when I put them together and put the fondant on fondant on. We all know that fondant can be very heavy

14 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 15

My first couple of wedding cakes stressed me out too. I lost sleep over them too. Once I get those first few behind me, I don't stress over them anymore like I did before. Is this your first time stacking a cake? What do you plan on using for supposrts? dowels? sps? You need to sit down and get a plan of action and I think that will help relieve some stress.

Good luck! You'll do great!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 15

Im still like that, i start doubting myself Im highstrung and it doesnt take a lot to stress me, So im only doing wedding cakes for close friends ,

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 15

I bake my cakes in 3-inch pans plus if you used something like a Pineapple Pound Cake recipe. They are heavy enough to support the weight.

I am sure you will do fine. It is my thinking that the people would have never asked you to do something so important to them if they didn't have faith in you and like your work. Trust in yourself as much as they have trusted in you.

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 15

Yes this is my first time stacking a cake, but I plan to use wooden dowels, for the support and cake board for each layer to sit on, cut to the size of the cake, so it is not to be seen by other. Then the whole cake will sit in on a silver cake stand.
The supports will be put between every four inches of cake. Just thinking do I have to put one long wooden dowel down threw the middle to hold all the cakes together?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 15

It's my understanding that part of your concern is that the moistness of the cake and the fondant will cause the cake to kind of smush down and not be the right height? If so, I don't think the fondant is going to weigh down the cake that much. Fondant can be heavy, but generally cake can hold up to the weight just fine. Especially since the design sounds fairly simple and you are not adding a lot of extra weight with the decoration. As long as, like the PP said, you are using the right height cake pans (we use 3-inch pans as well) you shouldn't have a problem with the height.

I agree with everyone else, sit down and write out a plan to destress, and I am sure you will do great!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 15

You shouldn't need to put a dowel through the whole cake to hold it together. Especially with having cake boards under each tier, you can transport the tiers separately and then assemble when you get to the venue.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 15

Use SPS. There are a ton of threads here, and Leahs is the in-house expert. DO NOT USE WOODEN DOWELS. This is your first time, and although wooden dowels CAN work, they don't always, and it will be a lot better to use something that works 100% of the time.

Just think of this as a really big bday cake. The stress comes in the transport, so if you get your support structure right, you will be fine.

I never get afraid anymore, so the feeling does go away, but then again I've done a few hundred or so, and there are some people on here that are probably near 1000.
Its a good idea that you are doing your research now, you have some time to experiment.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 15

As 1234me advise, you need to sit and plan. I think that most of us had lost sleep, but you'll succeed if follow a detailed plan of action. Double check what you think are not your strengths and don't let things to the end.

If you fear your cake recipe does not have adequate texture to support fondant, do some research, test new recipes. The stacking structure will carry the weight of the cake, but cake should hold the weight of the fondant that covers as well as decorations you plan to use.

When picking a stacking system take in consideration the total height of each tier (you can cut dowels to fit your need, but others (SPS) set a minimum and maximum height.

Good luck!! let us know how it goes...

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 15

I would not make my first stacked cake be a wedding cake. You need to practice this first. Make at least 2 tiers of the size of this cake and practice stacking them. I also suggest using SPS.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 15

SPS is a support system that would give you lots of relief. Do a search here on the forums for it.

If the couple that asked you to do their cake knows you've never done one before...then your inexperience isn't viewed by them as a huge issue. So, take this opportunity to learn everything you can, stack properly and when it is all done...enjoy that you have completed your first wedding cake.
If the couple that asked you to do their cake has NO IDEA this is your first or is unaware of your experience level...then I would definitely tell them of your concerns and offer a few other decorators names you think they should contact.

Read, read, read the forums and practice every chance you get beforehand. Keep asking questions if you have any. All wedding cake artists have had a first. Enjoy the challenge!! Congratulations on the opportunity!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:01am
post #12 of 15

I agree with tracycakes:

Quote:
Quote:

I would not make my first stacked cake be a wedding cake. You need to practice this first. Make at least 2 tiers of the size of this cake and practice stacking them.

AND allow yourself plenty of time. I recently did my biggest cake ever. I've done several tiered cakes and this was my 3rd wedding cake and I was totally stressed out and down to the wire in getting it done. No fun.

Your cakes are cute. I'm sure you'll feel better once you've practised because I'm sure you can do a very nice wedding cake thumbs_up.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:06am
post #13 of 15

Didnt have time to read whole page...so apologize if this is already covered. Please be sure to use something that will not get soggy on top of dowel rods...cardboard cake boards get soggy. I use thin foamcore board cut into circles. then when you stack on top of dowels if will not collapse.

Then I take a dowel rod sharpen to a point an hammer down through every tier and into the base. By the way my base is 1/2 foamcore. and the dowel rod goes into it also.

And I do not stack more than 3 tiers high when I trasnport If there are more than 3 I assemble on site.

I sure hope this helps

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:32am
post #14 of 15

Please, please use SPS! You'll still worry about the cake all the way until it's delivered but then the great relief will be so wonderful. You'll worry about the delivery too until it's all done. And then you'll realize that SPS is a nearly indestructible support system I transport wedding cakes over very bumpy dirt roads in rural Oklahoma, sometimes stacked 4 tiers high and have never had a problem since I started using SPS.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 1:50pm
post #15 of 15

I definitely recommend SPS supports! They really took some stress off for me knowing how securely they support the cake. They make it really easy to disassemble for cutting the cake too.

I also recommend doing a practice cake that is stacked and tiered. It doesn't have to be four tiers but I would practice with the larger sizes cause they are a little more difficult to handle. I did a practice cake before my first wedding cake and gave it to a friend for her birthday. It was a win,win. I got to practice which relieved some of my stress and she got a totally awesome 2 tiered cake for her birthday icon_biggrin.gif It also helped give me a better idea of how much time it would take which helped with the stress too.

You can do this! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%