Question About Rkt Please Need An Answer Fast

Baking By mommynana Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm by mommynana

mommynana Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 20

when forming something with RKT before covering with fondant do u have to cover it buttercream ??? or can u just put the fondant right over it thank you

19 replies
SPCC Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 20

make it smooth with buttercream!

kandyc10 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 20

I cover mine in Royal Icing, it adds another layer of stability and I like that!

aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 20

I cover it with melting chocolate, then when it hardens go back with a knife and clean it up, then cover it again with melting chocolate, then smooth it with the warmth of my hands, then fondant icon_smile.gif

1234me Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 20

Ive used royal icing and it works perfectly!

mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 20

I usually put my fondant directly on the RKT. You just have to make sure you get the surface really smooth. I use a microplane to file it down a bit. Good luck to you, there are few different ways to do it.

CVB Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 20

I use modeling chocolate underneath fondant, works great!

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 20
mommynana Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 20

thanks all for ur replys thumbs_up.gif

Debi2 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 20

I've heard you shouldn't use buttercream on RKT because it will soften the RKT and cause sagging. I would stick with RI or melted chocolate.

kweenofengland Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 20

i use BC cause that is what i usually have on hand. havent ever noticed any softening or sagging of the RKT. I dont usually make royal icing or modeling chocolate so i dont really want to make it special. If you just put fondant right over RKT its gonna be bumpy.

lyndya Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 20

I use fondant directly on RKT. Never had a problem with smoothness; I use a little piping gel for extra sticking power.

kweenofengland Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndya

I use fondant directly on RKT. Never had a problem with smoothness; I use a little piping gel for extra sticking power.

Really? I dont understand how. I guess i am doing something wrong? Do you file it like the other person says or just pack and pack till its 'holeless'? I made a naughty cake once and used RKT and put fondant directly over the RKT and lets just say that HE looked like he had an STD. lol. I took off and covered in BC and smoothed and then put fondant over it! haha!

UpAt2am Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I cover it with melting chocolate, then when it hardens go back with a knife and clean it up, then cover it again with melting chocolate, then smooth it with the warmth of my hands, then fondant icon_smile.gif

this is how i do it too! and it works out beautifully. i did the nike shoe, beer bottle, santa's legs, etc. all with this technique. they're in my pics. smooth as silk icon_smile.gif the melted/hardening chocolate is good b/c it seals the RKT, unlike BC could. when BC comes to room temp, it's going to get soft. and it may or may not slide underneath, but hardened chocolate is never going to slide around at room temp. good luck!!!

mommynana Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 20

well guys thanks a lot i just moled a mickey mouse shoe with RKT and i put royal icing on it and covered it with fondant and it workd great thanks again

mommynana Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 20

bty upat2am, ur santa cake is awsome thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndya

Really? I dont understand how. I guess i am doing something wrong? Do you file it like the other person says or just pack and pack till its 'holeless'? I made a naughty cake once and used RKT and put fondant directly over the RKT and lets just say that HE looked like he had an STD. lol. I took off and covered in BC and smoothed and then put fondant over it! haha!

Sorry, I just had a good laugh at what you said lol!! I always used BC on my RKT, never had a problem with sagging, I would refrigerate it for a few mins, smooth it, then get it super hard in the fridge, then do my fondant over that! Look in my pics if you want, the pregnant belly zebra cake was RKT, and so was the top dome on the Mario brothers cake!

Debi2 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 20

hmmm...maybe I misunderstood and it was the fondant that sagged, and not the actual rkt? Sounds like several of you use bc and it works just fine. icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

bty upat2am, ur santa cake is awsome thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

you are so sweet! thanks icon_smile.gif it was so fun to do! it was for my sister's christmas party and i told her i'd make the cake (of course). icon_smile.gif it was so nice to get to make a cake however i wanted to...and what got done on it would get done and i wouldn't stress. my cake business is crazy, insanely busy right now (i'm not complaining!) and it was just nice to do something exaclty how i wanted to icon_smile.gif i fell in love with this cake! and it's so nice to see that so many others have loved it too!

mommynana Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 20

i would love to give that santa a try...but i dont no.. i put in in my favorites who no`s one of these years i might get guttsy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%