To Freeze Or Not To Freeze?

Baking By graciesj Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 6:56pm by graciesj

graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 12

Hi ladies, I had my 1st vendors show yesterday and due to the extreme snow storm we didn't have a good show. I do have another show this Sunday the 19th and was wondering if I should and could freeze my cupcakes. My buttercream is homemade and made with only shortening. So, here's the question. Should I freeze them and how? Or should I leave them out? I also made cream puffs that haven't been filled can I store them out or in the freezer? Need answers my fellow ladies. thank-you gracie

11 replies
graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 12

None of my fellow experienced bakers know what to do? I know at least 1 of you doicon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 12

I think I would scrape the BC off and then wrap the cakes individually and freeze them. Then just remake the BC so it's fresh.

No idea on the other though.

graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 12

thank-you I will do that. ha I'm not sure about the cream puffs either. thank-you again

denetteb Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 12

Don't scrape it all off!!! Just put them in some saran wrap or zip lock bags or tupperware-type container and freeze them as is. I never individually wrap them and they come out just fine. Or if they are packaged in a bakery box just slip the box in a clean garbage bag and put in the freezer. Or even in the garage or protected area outside if you are in a frozen climate. BC icing freezes just fine. My guess is the cream puffs would freeze fine also, throw them all in the freezer and in a day or two take a couple out and see how they are. No point in throwing them out till you see for yourself.

graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 12

Thank-you denetteb for your suggestions. I do have them all boxed up and I will try to wrap them up in a few bags to keep fresh. So what you're saying also is that I don't have to freeze them, just keep them stored correctly. I had great reviews on my cup cakes and wish to keep the same freshness and taste for my next show. Let's pray this works in my favour. thanks againicon_smile.gifgracie

mombabytiger Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 12

Cream puffs freeze just fine. I do it all the time. Unfilled of course.

aswartzw Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 12

I was more concerned with freezer space and how high your tops are so you wouldn't mess them up but yeah, PP is correct. You can do it. I just prefer not to.

The garage is fine too if you don't have any mice.

denetteb Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 12

I am saying to definitely freeze them. Since you are in Michigan and probably getting the cold weather we have in MN you could also use an unheated garage or inside a spare vehicle or unheated porch, etc to freeze them if you don't have enough freezer space.

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 12

I freeze cupcakes all the time, with or without icing, they do fine.

graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 12

Am so pleased to know that cupcakes and unfilledicon_smile.gif cream puffs freeze just fine. Yes here in good old Michigan it's freezing and I do have stored in my car right now. But will need to bring them in. I don't have the freezer space "aswartzw" so thank-you for thinking about that. is it safe to leave my cream puffs in the air tight container on my table? I really appreciate all of your inputsicon_smile.gifgracie

graciesj Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 12

FYI ladies, I threw out all 2 dozen cupcakesicon_sad.gif(((((((((
I checked them t his morning and NOP to dry. Oh well more work for me then. But that's alright, at least they'll get fresh cup cakesicon_smile.gif right ladiesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%