I Had To Write This Blog .... I Was Ticked!!!

Lounge By indydebi Updated 23 Dec 2010 , 6:20am by madgeowens

indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:50am
post #1 of 24

It was the way this non-cake-expert "writer" just threw out the attitude of "oh just serve 'em cheap sheet cakes!" Please tell me if my frustration came thru!! ('Coz y'all know how hard it is for me to express myself! icon_rolleyes.gif )

23 replies
eatdessert1st Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 24

very very well said!

Melanie Mc.

Mikail Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 24

Well said and so very true.

Kandis Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 24

As always, you said it best!!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 24

here here!

tarheelgirl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 24

Very well put! Funny how the people who write these great articles, giving advice for your special day, really have NO clue nor are they even in this business!

genevieveyum Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 24

You always do a great job of getting your point across!

HamSquad Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 24

As always you are right on target, very well spoken! This is the typical mind set of most brides, it is like an reoccuring nightmare.

online_annie Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 24

An excellent post Debi! As always very eloquent and to the point with a touch a humor! Thanks for sharing!

cutthecake Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 24

At this stage of the game, one of the main reasons I go to weddings is for GOOD cake.

all4cake Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 24

Nice article...last paragraph wrapped it up perfectly with a bow!

traci_doodle Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 24

Indydebi--Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you could have elaborated further (no, I'm not being sarcastic). Your only argument was that the bride's guests don't want cheap cake. Well, why don't they want cheap cake? I don't think everyone understands how much better good cake tastes. I think you could have pointed out that a good cake tastes better, looks better, isn't frozen for months ahead of time and slapped on with frosting from a bucket, etc. and really pound those points home. I felt that if you explained further, people (such as brides) might take the article more seriously, since as a baker, you show bias towards the bride buying a more expensive cake. Otherwise, the argument seems very self-interested.

indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 24

traci ... excellent points! Edited version coming up!

Karen421 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 24

A lot of times the cake is the last thing guests have at the wedding, and people will remember the last thing the most. What a horrible send off for your guests! You go Debi!!! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 24

I already commented on your post about this on FB - where do these people come from??

I had a bride just last week ask me about doing a "fake cake" and the sheet cake thing....and the advice I gave her was spot on with you....it would have cost her more $$ to go that way with me.

navelgazer Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 24

Ok, I know I'm totally new here....but I was in the wedding industry (Wedding photographer for 5 years until I just quit to be with my kids)...so I completely understand the "just get a cheap cake"...in the photography industry we get "just get Uncle Bob to take the pics, he has a nice camera" icon_smile.gif

I think your position is absolutely right on. The problem is that I don't really see any concrete, professionally presented reasons to support your position. I read a rant - which is fine (and an amusing read for us fellow bakers). BUT if your target audience with this blog post is a Bride shopping for a wedding cake, I think it misses the mark. It would be more successful (IMO) if it read more like an article in a bride's magazine - succinct, with well presented counterpoints that make a bride think.

Remember, this is just my opinion and I totally agree with your premise!

tiawanna02 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:08pm
post #17 of 24

awesomeness!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

gatorcake Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 24

First I understand why this touches a nerve I really do, but I think you could be more generous in your read. I believe I found the article you are pointing to and in no way does it equate "cheap" to cheap tasting.

I will agree that the choice of terms leaves that possibility open but it is also just as likely that they are advising brides to forego the decoration in favor of good tasting cake that will not cost you hundreds of dollars in extra decorating costs.

Indeed high end bakers legitimate this this kind of talk. Go check the site for Buddy's site for instance and he advises brides on a budget to purchase sheet cakes from him which are much cheaper and order a smaller cake.

Thus it may be crass to characterize them as "cheap" sheet cakes but that does not necessarily mean that the author is advocating buying sheet cakes from Costco, Walmart, or the local grocery store. If this is what the person is advising then I agree 100% this is a slap in the face of your guests.

But it is not slapping your guests in the face if you prefer to spend resources on great tasting cake rather than investing in an elaboratly decorate multi-teir wedding cakes. If guests get bent out of shape because there is not an elaborate wedding cake then frankly they are there for the wrong reason.

And on lark I did look for articles on buying wedding dresses and engagement rings on the cheap--they exist and probably irk jewelers and designers. While the diamond one can simply be viewed as educating buying on the 4 Cs one could easily more crassly cast their advice. But one is quite relevant as it speaks to quality:

The cut of a diamond is another great opportunity to find a cheap diamond engagement ring. And again, it's a game of perception. Many experts say that a diamond's cut is up to 60 percent of a diamond's overall valueand it's not the type of cut, but the quality of the cut. The quality of cut is a major factor in the diamond's sparkle. Again, you have to consider whether your fiancé-to-be will notice the difference between a very good cut and good or fair cut diamond.

Rephrased: Get a cheap diamond by getting a lower quality cut because your fiance won't know the difference anyway.

Can chalk the article up to poor wording.

Kaytecake Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 5:06am
post #19 of 24
Originally Posted by indydebi

It was the way this non-cake-expert "writer" just threw out the attitude of "oh just serve 'em cheap sheet cakes!" Please tell me if my frustration came thru!! ('Coz y'all know how hard it is for me to express myself! icon_rolleyes.gif )

I understand your passion and frustration on the subject. I just think that people are having a hard time adjusting their expectations and wants to reality. Many lack the discipline to stick to a budget and spend within their means in general. Too many have a sense of entitlement and don't have much concern about how they treat their guests. Others try and may not put a high priority on their cake. I've read other threads here about brides ordering a beautiful cake, serving it and then are suspected of trying to get a refund to cut their costs or get out of paying for the cake all together.

These days, anyone can write articles giving advice and be totally wrong. Quality writing and research aren't always a given. You have a good writing style and I'm sure that you could counter any of these cake articles point by point and maybe throw in a wedding etiquette lesson for good measure. I'd look forward to reading it. icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #20 of 24

I totally get your frustration...great writing too.

chelleb1974 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:35am
post #21 of 24

Great post Debi! I didn't realize you had a blog, and just spent the last few hours reading the entire thing, and I'm now a follower! Your posts here on CC are always great, and you I love how you just say it like it is icon_smile.gif

cake_architect Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:25am
post #22 of 24

indydebi, i think its so cool how you took traci's advice and used it constructively (not that it was meant in any other way, of course) and actually edited your post. thats so awesome!

Lizzard1 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:48am
post #23 of 24

That is complete madness!!!! The nerve of some people! Its like getting medical advice from a donkey!! Thanks for sharing Debi, its something we should all hear about.

madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:20am
post #24 of 24

Yeah, for real........next to the wedding gown on the bride, everyone is excited to see a cool cake.....more today I think with all the wedding cake shows on the air waves.........yepper..........crappy advice to give brides....I can see why you would be ticked.....yepper

Quote by @%username% on %date%