How Do I Wire Flowers?

Decorating By Cocobongo Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 5:34am by ginger6361

Cocobongo Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:53am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone

I'm manking some anemonies that will go on the side of a cake, so I presume I need to wire them to take the weight. I've actually never used wires for flowers and have no idea how to fix them.

I had a look on you tube but they weren't using wires in them.

Can anyone offer me any advice. I just don't want them to fall off the cake.

I know you use straws or flower picks.

TIA

Coco x

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:02am
post #2 of 5

are the flowers already made? if so, heat up the wire to stick it in - will melt the sugar, which will then reset rock solid.
if you are just making them, egg white works well as a glue. some flowers need a small loop at the top of the wire, some can go in straight, and usually straight for leaves. for leaves, or if you are wiring individual petals, a cel board is invaluble.
once they are all wired, start thinking about your arrangement (if your using one). hold things loosley and get an idea of how it will look. then start wrapping with florist tape, will hold the wires in place.

it is actually possible that your flowers wont need wired (or the flowers might need wired but not in an arangement, or not sticking into the cake). depends how big they are. ive done flowers and just sat them on the edge.
xx

brincess_b Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 10:02am
post #3 of 5

alan dunns books are amazing for wiring advice - i can never pass over the how tos as well as he does.
xx

Cocobongo Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 11:46am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Princess B.

I'm just about to make them. They will be individual flowers as opposed to an arrangement so will be wired seperately. They don't have leaves.

I think I just want to wire them for security.

Fingers crossed icon_smile.gif

ginger6361 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 5

So how did your wired flowers come out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%