Oh Give Me A Break!

Lounge By Christina1207 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 4:08am by Christina1207

Christina1207 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 34

This is way off subject of cake stuff. I have a friend who just got rid of her two dogs. Because eventually she has to move and hasn't found a place that will let her keep her two huskies. That's not what kills me.

What kills me is who she keeps going on and on about how much she misses them and she can't stop crying and blah blah blah. She wants to move within the next two years. She posts on facebook on how she raised them from puppies and they were her children.

I get it I have two dogs and they are part of my family that's why when we moved two months ago the place we picked had to allow dogs. It was my second question when I called places if they said no then that was the end of the phone call. I don't want to say anything on facebook and seem like a bitch. But i need to vent. Another thing she brought her four year son with her when she dropped her dogs off at the pound.

What I don't understand is why would you go through with it when your son is screaming 'No mommy please no I love them' her words and still do it. Why not wait until he is at school or wait until you find a family. I think it is selfish and it kills me that she is playing a poor me role in all of this.

Then there are people who post to her response oh poor you, don't cry.
What poor her? she isn't the one sitting in a kennel wondering why the hell her owners just dumped her off at the pound.

I get it sometimes people don't have other options, yes that is not what this is about she isn't moving for another two years maybe longer so why give up the animals that you so call love. GRRRRR i can't stand and it drives me nuts that she is playing the poor me card. Sorry this is long just got my blood boiling after reading her posts all day and then she posted photos of dogs that she no longer has and then asks people to go adopt them.

33 replies
indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:09am
post #2 of 34

Me thinks your friend doth protest too much. icon_rolleyes.gif

Its not about the dogs at all. its all about her and the attention she can get with it. She's playing the role of victim, here.

And people who "play" the role of victim make my a$$ tired!!!!!

TheCakerator Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 34

that isn't right. I understand if you are facing a situation where you HAVE to let go of your animals but I really, REALLY can't stand the people who think that pets are disposable. They get them, they toss them .. then they get more .. then they toss those .. icon_mad.gif Don't get me started ....

Elcee Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 34

OOOOOOOhhhh...I really get how you feel! Our beloved Malamute passed away last October at the age of 12 after having been completely blind for 2 years, kidney failure, and finally cancer. After he dedicated his life to loving us, we took the best care of him that we could until it was time to put him down. It was the least we could do in return for what he had given us.

To see people tossing pets away just frosts my butt! She won't be moving for 2 years and she brought them to the pound? She couldn't even be bothered to try to find a good home for them? If she were my friend I'd be steamed too and she would quietly be downgraded from friend to aquaintance. Pets are not disposable.

Quote:
Quote:

I get it I have two dogs and they are part of my family that's why when we moved two months ago the place we picked had to allow dogs.

It's not that hard, is it? Lots of landlords are pet friendly!

Kellbella Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

that isn't right. I understand if you are facing a situation where you HAVE to let go of your animals but I really, REALLY can't stand the people who think that pets are disposable. They get them, they toss them .. then they get more .. then they toss those .. icon_mad.gif Don't get me started ....

thumbs_up.gif I feel exactly the same way!!! I would live in my car with my dogs before giving them away icon_mad.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 5:21am
post #6 of 34

well, I wouldn't cause my family to go homeless over a pet icon_biggrin.gif but when we began (over 2 years ago) to research apartments, one of the criteria was that they had to be pet-friendly. The place we found was more than perfect.

As an aside, I'm happy to share that the hotel I work at is also pet-friendly. We get some beautiful dogs come in and stay with us. I love it when the dog show is in town .... heck, some of those show dogs look better blow-dried than ME!!! icon_lol.gif There's a Great Dane who is a "regular guest" and is the best behaved dog I've ever seen! thumbs_up.gif

luvmysmoother Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 34

If the dogs were two years older they'd be even harder to adopt out so she did them a huge favor if she's the type of person so willing to give them up at her inconvenienceicon_sad.gif I think it's just best to ignore her and if she goes to you for sympathy about them change the subject immediately so she can't pretend to be the victim here - she'll catch on soon enoughicon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 34

oh p-l-e-e-s-e, you can always find a place that will take pets.

It's just an excuse for her. Personally it breaks my heart when people take their pets to the pound. Come on, pets have feelings too. That just gets my goat.

I hope they find a good home with folks that will actually treat them with respect.

Herekittykitty Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 34

Pets are not disposable. Period. You took on a responsibility when adopting them into your home to love and care for them the reset of their lives. Would she just dump her children off at an agency b/c she might be inconvenienced by them at some point?

I just don't get it. Sometimes life throws you a curve and you can no longer meet the commitment you made to a pet, particularly in this economy, I get it, but people have the responsibility of finding suitable homes for their family members BEFORE deciding to surrender them to a shelter.

I just can't.... Ok, I'm just getting mad, off soap box now.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #10 of 34

Your friend is fu*&ed up, especially subjecting her kid to this. It will scar him for life. She is an animal-lover poser, and a hypocrite of the worst kind. I wonder if she would drop her kid off at an orphanage if he too became an "inconenience" for her. She totally sucks.

Christina1207 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:39am
post #11 of 34

Thank you! I am just glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. I am sorry I don't see how she did them a favor of instead of finding them a home she handed them over to the pound and let them handle it.
She is a friend from high school and we live across the country so we are not the closest of friends but her constant posting got my blood boiling.

Tclanton Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 34

I couldnt do this - no way no how!!! My little dog is my whole life. Both my boys are grown and moved on and she took their place. If I were to get in a financial strain - I could definitely cut down on my spending in order to keep her fed.

I agree with the other poster - she looks for the attention.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 34

That's why there's an ignore button on Facebook.

There had to be more to the story than a move a couple of years in the future. Maybe they were too playful around her child, or she couldn't afford to feed them. Still, it's easy to find a home for a pet on Craigslist...I've done it for a few pets that my neighbor couldn't keep, and had them rehomed within a day or two.

indydebi Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #14 of 34

We GOT our dog from craigslist! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:56am
post #15 of 34

Wow, we adopted two feral cats who had been taken from a colony and had never lived inside before. After about two years one of them is the perfect pet, loves people etc., and the other one is still totally scared, lives in my bathroonm and is on valium for her nerves. I would never give her back, even though she's more of a boarder than a pet. I'd be too worried about what happened to her neurotic little self. It's one thing to give a pet up if you can't take care of it, but if you're just thinking about moving and don't know if you can find somewhere that's pet-friendly you'd wait until the last minute to give them up. If you really cared about them, that is.

Karen421 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 34

That just makes me really sad! Those poor dogs - Craiglist, puppyfinder, puppyfind, there are probably more but people are always looking for free dogs!
icon_cry.gif

Christina1207 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:23am
post #17 of 34

Okay I need help. My mother in law took it upon herself to get my kids a kitten. I never asked for one but since i am living in the country in an old house need a cat to keep the mice away. Problem I am having is as much as this little kitten is cute after two weeks of not being to have all my animals in the same room is driving me nuts. She is only 10 weeks old she scares my dogs which in turn make them think she wants to play. So the whole thing is stressing everyone out.
I want her to work out but I can't have animals that can't or won't be nice to each other. I am asking for tips on how to do this? If not I will give her a month and I will make sure I find a good home. But she is really good with me, hubby and two boys. So I am clueless on how to handle this.

Dayti Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:59am
post #18 of 34

There are lots of tips on internet, e.g. http://www.myhealthycat.com/cat-and-dog.html Just Google lots to get more info.
Watch out because down at the bottom it says wait til the kitten is at least 4 months old and can defend itself before you leave it alone with a dog - I guess even if your dogs are not aggressive, and indeed you say they are a bit scared of the kitten, you just never know what might happen.
So you might have to give it more than a month.

On a side note, I really don't understand people gifting animals without consulting them first!

Christina1207 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:12am
post #19 of 34

well thats my mother in law. Well i ask cause this kitten does not run away from them. She hisses and growls and if they do get to close then she hits them with her paws. I don't just let the dogs go after her. All she has to do is hiss and it freaks out the dogs. I am just wondering if I have the patience to deal with this until she is 4 months old. Since I was given this kitten and did not ask for it. I just don't know, just venting. But she'll stay until either they get along or i find her a good home. The pound is not a choice.

Karen421 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:25am
post #20 of 34

If she is hissing and swatting at them now, she will get her bluff in and they should keep there distance in the future also. I have several barn cats and several dogs, it is hilarious to watch 2 large German Shephards run away from small cats! icon_biggrin.gif

Christina1207 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:56am
post #21 of 34

I bet it is, but I guess what I want in a kitty is for them all to be comfortable with each other so they can play together and snuggle on the couch together. But I will settle if they can be in the same room together without freaking out. The dogs can be across the room and she starts to hiss and growl and sometimes they don't even notice her and she is the one that freaks out

costumeczar Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #22 of 34

It can take a while for animals to get used to each other, so try to be patient...I know it's hard when they're going after ech other. They'll eventually reach an "understanding" so just watch them when they're together until they work it out. Maybe keep them apart other than for a little each day and build up the time that they spend together bit by bit.

Herekittykitty Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 34

You should never just throw strange animals together, it is very stressful for them. particularly cats as they are insanely territorial. kitten should be kept in a safe room for a couple of weeks, with your family spending time with it each day so she socializes to you. After several days start introducing the dogs' scent to her by rubbing them with a towel and then her/him with the same towel. Eventually you will feed the animals at the same time on either side of a closed door, the an open door with a gate between. It is a slow process but works. The humane society of MN has a great page about this.

Sound like kitten is holding her own for now but if this continues she may never feel safe around the dogs and always be defensive. Also, they will probably never cuddle on the couch together (my cats were siblings and never did) but they can live in harmony, don't give up!

Karen421 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 1:35am
post #24 of 34

I wish I could post some pictures, my Elphaba, an Imperial Shih Tzu- Not only cuddles up with, but allows the cat to kneading on her. They love each other! And then we have Fiyero - our Toy Poodle, how has his very own cat! They share a bed! It works great at our house icon_biggrin.gif

itsmylife Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 12:47pm
post #25 of 34

To the OP, very sad that your friend would treat her child & those dogs like this,especially for something that was not urgent.

The other sad/scary part is that a lot of shelters will only keep adoptable animals for a set period of time, and then the poor things are put down. Some shelters are no-kill, but will still send the animal to another shelter who is after a set period of time of not being adopted. Others are truly no-kill and will keep the animal forever, even if it is never adopted.

I hope those doggies find forever homes with a new family.

Kellbella Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 1:09pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I wish I could post some pictures, my Elphaba, an Imperial Shih Tzu- Not only cuddles up with, but allows the cat to kneading on her. They love each other! And then we have Fiyero - our Toy Poodle, how has his very own cat! They share a bed! It works great at our house icon_biggrin.gif

One of my cats loves being with my Shih-Tzu, they've been frineds since I brought the dog in. Rocco (Shih-Tzu) had to have an IV when I first got him (he was in early renal falure), i brought him home for the first time with his bandange around his iv site, OJ, my orange cat, came right over and started licking his IV site ! They have been buddies since then.

7yyrt Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #27 of 34

Sounds like the OP's 'friend' was punishing her child.
Give the child's beloved dogs away right in front of the crying, screaming child?
For a trumped up reason?

I've seen a lot of emotional abuse, so I may be way off, but...
Might want to keep an eye on that situation.
Just in case.

Christina1207 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:21pm
post #28 of 34

I wish I could but I live in CO and she lives in RI. in high school she was one of those girls who were really snobby and really stuck up. From what I have heard from people who live closer to her and hang out she is a pretty good mom.

KitchenKat Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:01am
post #29 of 34

She just wants someone to validate her decision.

There are ALWAYS options, it just depends on priority. Would I choose a nicer house with a bigger kitchen but no dog or the small but okay house that allows me to have dogs? Should I buy new luggage or use the money to spend for the dog's transport?

We have a dog. My dh's job requires us to move to a different country every couple of years. Can you imagine the headache and expense of moving a dog halfway around the world? The shipping and pet handling costs are equal to a couple's vacation to Paris! Yet we do it because our dog is family. To do otherwise is unthinkable.

cabecakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 10:53am
post #30 of 34

Our dogs and cat and birds get along great. Well the cat isn't to fond of the bird (macaw), it went after him once. The cat went after the bird until the bird went after the cat that is. Here the cat must have been thinking "easy lunch", but boy was he fooled when the bird went on the offensive. He did a one and half gainer off the hallway wall trying to get away from him. The cat never messed with the bird after that. Before anyone gets mad, no I didn't intentially leave the cat and bird together. The cat goes outside and the bird gets to get out of his cage when he does. Unfortunately, one of the kids let the cat in (unbeknownst to me). They don't like each other, but the cat gives the bird's cage a wide berth now. Our dogs clean the cat. I love my animals, what your friend did is not cool. I have had to accomodate my budget for my pets (food, grooming, vet), and I think with 2 years she could have found a more suitable option. As far as doing this to her child, she's not much of a parent either and wouldn't be a friend of mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%