Why Do Ya'll Think Some Goodcakes Get No Notice??

Lounge By CarolLee Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 1:38am by cakelady2266

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

For me personally I don't expect comments. But I am a newbie though and we, newbies, need/want validation.

Tthe only validation that matters is the one from within.
If you don't know you're great it doesn't matter how many other people tell you that you are.

Not trying to come off as rude but that's in a perfect world. I'm not a perfect person and 99% of people need validation from others and you know that's true. You'd be lying to say otherwise. I'm not saying it's the validation that matters most... just saying it's what most people need to feel that within. It always makes people feel good to get compliments. My $.02

thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:20pm
post #32 of 43

I also think that often it's not just a matter of if the cake is well done or pretty and whatnot, but the quality of the picture.

For example, the one cake I did that got the most notice was also the professional picture taken that I was given permission to use here. *shrug* The cake was absolutely simple in design, but it's the only cake I've made and posted here that made it to the most-saved photos.

And it's because of that, that I'm trying to step up my photography skills so I can have better looking pictures for my already-pretty cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

For me personally I don't expect comments. But I am a newbie though and we, newbies, need/want validation.

Tthe only validation that matters is the one from within.
If you don't know you're great it doesn't matter how many other people tell you that you are.

Not trying to come off as rude but that's in a perfect world. I'm not a perfect person and 99% of people need validation from others and you know that's true. You'd be lying to say otherwise. I'm not saying it's the validation that matters most... just saying it's what most people need to feel that within. It always makes people feel good to get compliments. My $.02

thumbs_up.gif

Of course it feels good to get complements but how does it feel to think you should get them and you don't--that's all I'm saying. Then to go ask about why they didn't come?

I mean so did you get what you want for all this mention of it?

Mercy complements would grate my nerves--no thanks. I'll stay in the dark about how cool you think I am. No problem.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:10am
post #34 of 43

I only save cakes that I think I could have a snowball's chance in He@@ of pulling off.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:14am
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

I only save cakes that I think I could have a snowball's chance in He@@ of pulling off.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Reach for the stars, darlin'!! Reach for the stars!!! icon_lol.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:21am
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Reach for the stars, darlin'!! Reach for the stars!!! icon_lol.gif

I do that with family. They love me no matter how the cake looks. icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:11am
post #37 of 43

That is exactly what I was going to say! I see a lot of cakes I admire, but only save the ones that I think will be of use to me later, even if for just one feature. If I've taken the time to view a photo, it means there is something I like about it, even if I didn't save it. So take heart girls, look at your 'views' as well as your 'saves', they're both relevant.

Also I think someone had a point in this post somewhere that photography plays a part. If the photo is not very clear, I just walk on by thinking 'what a shame'. It doesn't have to be pro, but it does need to be good enough to see detail.

But at the end of the day, I get a big thrill out of comments and saves too, and I will make more effort to leave more comments on the cakes I love but don't want to save (for the abovementioned reasons).

Quote:

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:33am
post #38 of 43

i think it is a time issue...some of my cakes that i dont think are that great have lots of comments and are saved as favorites while others that i personally feel are better have neither.

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:26am
post #39 of 43
Quote:

Me too!

I used to really need positive feedback when I first started. It's still nice to hear compliments, but I don't worry about it so much. I'm not in business and do it for fun. If I'm happy with it and it makes others happy- that's good enough for me. I don't post pics of all of my cakes anymore. If I make a cake that has some nice elements that people might enjoy- I post it. I also post a pic if it has something that might have some feature that others could adapt to their own creations. I can see both sides of the OP's question, but you make your own fun. If you enjoy what you're doing, than go for it. Don't let the need for the good opinion of others take that away from you. icon_smile.gif

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 7:05am
post #40 of 43

I rarely comment on cakes because I spend most of the time in the forums icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 10:13am
post #41 of 43

I don't think that it is as much about timing as it is about time. I think most people who cruise CC are either looking for ideas or gaining info, not just oogleing. I do try to leave a comment when I see a cake catches my eye, but I'm really here more for ideas for cakes or ways to do a specific technique, and I really don't have time to "just" look at cakes. When I do get the time to just relax and goe through the pics I do leave comments. My most favorites wasn't even on a cake, but on some templates that I made for seashells and Spongebob RI or FBC transfers. I was glad I could be helpful after all the help I have gotten from others. I am just new and my cakes aren't great, but I am learning...I don't expect a bunch of comments, and I don't need the validation. I just enjoy doing it. I enjoy the smiles I get when I give them to my friends and family. This is the REAL validation.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 11:55pm
post #42 of 43

Well I said it before....we are proud of our work and want to share and show off a little. It is one thing for someone who has never decorated a cake to say "oh that looks great or nice job" but when you hear this from a fellow decorator it is another thing all together. It doesn't hurt one bit to say something nice about a person's skills or creativity, hell it might just make you feel better about yourself.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:38am
post #43 of 43

For clarification I only post comments on cake pictures I really admire. And I sure don't say anything nice just to get someone to say something nice back. It's a plus to get a comment from somebody who knows what it takes to do cake to say something nice.

Well they say there is ONE is every crowd....If I ever need ANYBODY on this planet to make me feel better for any reason I WOULDN'T DARE DREAM LOOKING HERE FOR IT.

Do any of you ever comment on how cute someones child is? Or how nice a person's house is? If you think their cake is nice say so. Unless saying something nice would make your tongue catch fire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%