Jesus Birthday Cake

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 1:13am by sumerae

cakes4ck Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked by a friend of mine to do a sheet cake for her church's Christmas program. I personally don't like sheet cakes but that is what they requested. However, I want to make it look nice. Any ideas on decorations? She said last year, the person did a star on it, but she doesn't care what I do.

11 replies
brincess_b Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 12

specifically his birthday? could go for standard 'happy birthday' balloons and streames. could do a present - are u using fondant? could work as fbct too.
xx

mickeypanda Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe you could have balloons and streamers but have a baby in a manger in the middle.

poohsmomma Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 12

I do a small one every year for the family Christmas. Here is the first one I did. I use a baby mold now, and Jesus looks much better!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313282

cownsj Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 12

How about a "stained glass window" cake. You can use bc icing to pipe the "lead" lines and used thinned gel to flood the color areas. I use tonic water and it makes the gel taste better. I tried my first one last week, just to see if I could do it. I did it quickly, not taking the necessary time to make it just perfect, but still got a decent cake done and the whole thing took me about half an hour. (I did an 8" round cake). I was surprised it was as easy to do as it was. There are some ideas for them on here if you do a search, or just do a google search for stained glass window patterns.

grandmomof1 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 12

A silhouette of the Nativity Scene would look nice and if you had to write something on it, "Happy Birthday Jesus."

ccc407 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 12

Under the Cake Central links near the top of the page, do a search for "manger" and there are some really terrific cake pics there. HTH!

au_decorator_76 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 12

I really like the stained glass window!

SugarFiend Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 12

I would do something with a Little Drummer Boy theme, personally - if left to my own devices. The song seems to capture the spirit of Christmas to me - giving what you can, giving of yourself. I always, ALWAYS get choked up at the end of the Bob Seger version of the song, when he sings, "...then he smiled at me..."

But that's just me.

icon_smile.gif

tarynmay Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:06am
post #10 of 12

A full on nativity scene or if want less work maybe just the baby jesus in the manger with a couple of wee animals standing around?

Crazboutcakes Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

A silhouette of the Nativity Scene would look nice and if you had to write something on it, "Happy Birthday Jesus."

I like the nativity scene, it reminds me most about Jeses' birth and is definatley the meaning of christmas. I think a FBCT would look great for this you can do them in pieces and it would be perfect.

sumerae Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 12

I saw one on here, covered in navy colored fondant, silver fondant accents, of the Bethlahem scene and the nativity, let me see if I can find it, I LOVE it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1857106

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%