Terrible Cake Day...my Bc Wont Crust. :(

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 1:00am by Erin3085

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 4

I have a gabba gabba cake due at 2pm today, and I have spent the better part of my morning waiting for my buttercream to crust. I don't know what the deal is...the weather maybe?...but I'm frustrated. It's the same buttercream recipe that I have always used and have never had a crusting issue. I live in central Fl, and in the summer my BC crusts in less than 30 minutes.. It's been about 2 hours since I iced, and my viva is still coming off with clumps of frosting. Is there anything I could do to speed it up? I also made a "2" cake topper out of gumpaste at 9 last night and it still isn't even close to stiff. icon_cry.gif

3 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 4

i feel your pain! im in the northeast where its pouring out.
im making two cakes for today. and im dreading going outside with them, to the car and the resturant.
plus all this dampness is killing my fondant. not too mention my patience.
did you try to put your cake in the refridg? maybe that will help crust it.
good luck today.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 4

I sometimes put mine in front of a small fan. It usually works very well. Hope that helps.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 4

I ended up just going with the hot spatula method, which did the job enough I guess. :/ Thanks for the advice! I'll store those away for next time, now that the weather is changing I'm sure it wont be the last time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%