Does Black Stencil On White Buttercream Bleed?

Decorating By mysweetsugar75 Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 2:07am by vwolf

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to sometime in the future do a cake with white crusting buttercream frosting then do a black damask stencil with either buttercream or royal icing. Does the black bleed into the white? If I did a wedding cake a day or two ahead of time with this would it be okay, without bleeding? Which would be best black bc or royal icing?

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
mysweetsugar75 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 7

Bump

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:42am
post #3 of 7

Honestly, not sure if it would bleed or not, but I do know that you want to use Americolor gel coloring and using meringue powder will limit your bleeding. Best I can help is, give it a test run. Sorry I am not much help.

abunintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abunintheoven Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:53am
post #4 of 7

I did this exact same kind of cake in November (in my profile pics). I waited until the buttercream crusted very well, I used chocolate buttercream and colored that black (didn't take as much coloring plus it tastes like chocolate!) and a little bit of meringue powder in the chocolate buttercream....did stencil & piping work and literally held my breath for it not to bleed--woke up the next morning and no bleeding!! hope this helps!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:52am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunintheoven

I did this exact same kind of cake in November (in my profile pics). I waited until the buttercream crusted very well, I used chocolate buttercream and colored that black (didn't take as much coloring plus it tastes like chocolate!) and a little bit of meringue powder in the chocolate buttercream....did stencil & piping work and literally held my breath for it not to bleed--woke up the next morning and no bleeding!! hope this helps!

Ditto, I did stenciling with red buttercream frosting and another cake with blue on cream colored BC with the exception or the meringue powder. So far with both there was no bleeding. This was my fear too. My next adventure it try black on cream colored BC. Thanks abunintheoven.

mysweetsugar75 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:49am
post #6 of 7

Thank you everyone. I never heard about adding meringue powder. The advice and tips on this site is soooooooo helpful. Thanks to all you CC'ers!

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 7

I did a white buttercream frosted cake with black damask stencil a couple of weeks ago. It is in my pictures. I ask the same question on here about the black bleeding. Someone suggested using the wilton black decorator frosting in the tube, they said it wouldn't bleed, which I did and it worked really well. I did it the day before and it did not bleed. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%