Whats Buttermilk?? (Uk)

Baking By kim_1 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 1:10pm by kim_1

kim_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_1 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:07am
post #1 of 5

Im from the UK and have just got Martha stewart's CUPCAKES book and she uses buttermilk in a lot of her recipes but I cant seem to find it in the shops I havent even hared of it before... is it know as evaporated milk in the UK ???

4 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:29am
post #2 of 5

You can get it in morrisons and tesco, it's usually by the milk on the top shelf where you'd find sour cream and creme fraiche.

If you dont have any you can use this... For every 1 cup of whole milk add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or 1 tbsp of vinegar. Leave it for a minute then use. It'll look curdled.

kim_1 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 10:34am
post #3 of 5

thanks im going to make some cupcakes for the school fair tomorrow... I will give that a go.... I looked in all thesupermarkets as well I guess I was just looking in the wrong places. thanks again icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

I never have buttermilk on hand so I do what LisaPeps said. It has always worked for me.

kim_1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 5

Iv dont my cupcakes and sent them of to school and they taste yummy,,, the homemade buttermilk worked a treat icon_biggrin.gif im proud of them I will try n figure out how to put pics up later

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%