Asap Help Please! Two 6-Inch Cakes - Tiered?

Decorating By jagvipers Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 5:32am by jagvipers

jagvipers Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 7

I'm in the middle of a cake - friend wanted two 6-inch cakes, one for her daughter and one for her son, and wanted them tiered together for a double birthday party. I dont know what I was thinking when I baked these cakes, but I'm not sure how to stack two 6-inch cakes; unlike graduated tiers. Can I put something as a divider in between them like a few layers of foam board wrapped in ribbon? Help! I'm in the middle of this project right now - both tiers are done and I'm just wondering how to dowel and stack them right now. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
genevieveyum Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 7

I'd make a small divider. Maybe several 4" circles of foam board wrapped with ribbon or coordinating fondant. They're not big cakes so they should be ok structurally imho.

NatalieC923 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:32am
post #3 of 7

Well you can certainly stack them, just put dowels in and stack as you would cakes of different sizes. The issue is going to be how they look. Foam core or styrofoam wrapped in ribbon will create a separation, which will likely look better than just one on top of the other. What is the end result going to be? Do you have a design planned for the two cakes? If you can describe how you're planning to decorate them, we may be able to think of a creative way to integrate the two cakes.

jagvipers Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

The top tier is girlie - dora figurine, bow, and polka dots - base color is pink. The bottom is white with that pokeman guy, STEELERS, and darth vador head. So - very different, so a separation would be great.

denetteb Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 7

Why not talk with your friend about just each having their own cake, no stacking.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of 7

Yes, separate them with styrofoam divider or something similar. You can even wrap it in fondant.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandas_caketastic/4141938382/

jagvipers Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the help! 11:30pm - I'm done for the night! Wish me luck in the morning when I assemble it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%