How Do I Respond To This Without Appearing Rude.

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 2:01pm by Auryn

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 6

I've been approached by a collegue (Although I have never personally met her) to come to her newly opened playcentre which is state of the art and she offers/includes a cake with every party package that is booked.She would like me to come show her kitchen/baking staff how to do cupcake cakes...Well I have mixed feelings about this for several reasons...two of which I don't have a vehicle anymore to get across the city and I suffer from anxiety which really hinders me from venturing out beyond my own comfort zone and immediate area.(Sounds silly I know icon_redface.gif )The main reason I am kinda not willing to do this is her company is going to profit from my teaching and there isn't really benefit to me to give out my knowledge for no profit.Again sounds silly right.... icon_redface.gif

However...How do I tell her no without appearing rude or greedy??

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

I'd thank her for thinking of me, but that I'm very busy as sole designer,baker, & decorator, mother, & wife, and that it just wouldn't be possible for me to do it anytime in the near future.

I'd explain that it's a very basic process and that there are several wonderful how-to videos on youtube.com that will have her staff qualified in no time (about 5 mins., to be exact).

But, then again, I have no trouble saying no to someone who wants to pick my brain with no benefit to me icon_twisted.gif

HTH
Rae

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rae...she is very into sharing ideas with other entrapeneural..(not sure about spelling) people and thinks everyone should get together and share etc...but I'm not willing to share really...It has taken me 10 years to learn what I have and no one has ever offered me lessons/techniques for free and I am a small home based business who can't afford to lose business to her larger company...

tryingcake Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 6

If kit's something I don't want to share I just flat out smile and tell them, I teach you I take income from my family. Period.

indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 6

two ways to look at it.....

1) Yes, you are uncomfortable sharing the knowledge that you've worked hard to achieve. Totally understandable. It's ok not to share your "ancient Chinese secret".

2) Yes, she can figure it out herself. They are not that complicated and there are TONS of you tubes, etal, online that she can learn from. So whether you help her or not she's going to learn it. So since the ancient Chinese Secret isn't really that secret, you might as well profit the $50/hour consultation/training fee and make money off of it. thumbs_up.gif

Auryn Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with debi on this
explain to her what your consultation and teaching fees are (also those fees don't include supplies)
oh and just so you know, when I have had to send my employees out to do training, the fee is per person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%