Modeling Chocolate Disaster!

Baking By genevieveyum Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 3:08am by genevieveyum

genevieveyum Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 3

Help- I've made modeling chocolate before, but only once. This time I used 6 oz of Baker's white chocolate (it has cocoa butter so I thought it was probably decent quality) and about 10 oz of a giant white Ghiradelli candy making bar from Sam's and one unsweetened Baker's square. I melted slowly in double boiler and added warmed corn syrup (1/3 cup).
Here's where I think I went wrong... I was trying to get a light "flesh tone" because I'm trying to make a "Leg Lamp" cake (from A Christmas Story). I'd originally done it with just 1/2 of the Ghiradelli, but then I added more to lighten it (but this was after I'd already mixed most of it with the corn syrup).
Now it's a grainy mess. Is there any way to rescue it? Can I melt it all down again? Add shortening? Add more corn syrup?
Help! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 3

You may have overheated the chocolate or you may have gotten water (steam from the double boiler?) in it. Both scenarios would cause graininess.

I've re-heated/melted grainy modeling chocolate--I'd used glucose instead of corn syrup and for some reason it had crystallized. I microwaved it on 50% until it was liquid again, stirred it gently, and put it on some saran on the counter to cool. It was perfect when I went to use it the next day.

Might help, can't hurt, since what you have isn't useable, anyway.

genevieveyum Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much- I'll give it a shot. It certainly can't hurt and I hate to waste so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%