Sandstone/rock Impression?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm by aligotmatt

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to get a texture of a rock or sandstone...ideas?

I figure using real sandpaper and real rock is out...haha....

7 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8

"Rock" is easy to make using crumpled up tin foil, filled with tan-colored chocolate. You can make it very shallow, like sandstone.

I would imagine it's like the rock I made on my sister's wedding cake, only not as thick.

Kitagrl Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 8

Hmm true...I guess I could crumple it up and press it to the side of the cake too right? I want the fondant ON the cake to look like it...

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 8

i use an impression mat when i want rock or cobblestone effect on fondant.
not sure if that it was you are referring too.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 8

Makins polymer clay mats have a four pack with a stone design in them. Warning though, the mats are only 4" x 6". On the up side a four pack is about $3.00 and you can find them at Hobby Lobby or Amazon.com. I use them for small detail but don't know how they would work on a large cake.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

AUI Swiss sells spray cans of cocoa butter that you can spray the cake and it says its velvet spray, but personally think it is too big to look like velvet. It looks more like stone to me. But the cans are expensive, so I further researched and you can melt cocoa butter and spray it through an airbrush thin layer at a time and as it come back to room temp it keeps that look. You can also melt it down and put it into a spray bottle and spray it if you don't have an airbrush. I tried it with vegetable shortening too and it kind of works, but not as nice.

But, you can color the cocoa butter in different shades so as you're spraying it on, it gives nice dimension.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

AUI Swiss sells spray cans of cocoa butter that you can spray the cake and it says its velvet spray, but personally think it is too big to look like velvet. It looks more like stone to me. But the cans are expensive, so I further researched and you can melt cocoa butter and spray it through an airbrush thin layer at a time and as it come back to room temp it keeps that look. You can also melt it down and put it into a spray bottle and spray it if you don't have an airbrush. I tried it with vegetable shortening too and it kind of works, but not as nice.

But, you can color the cocoa butter in different shades so as you're spraying it on, it gives nice dimension.

Would chocolate thinned with shortening work similarly?

Although...I think I need the fondant surface rather than the slick chocolate or cocoa butter...hmmm....

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 8

thinned chocolate may work, though I've never tried it. Maybe if it was thin enough it would spray and then harden up when it hardens? Or even thin royal icing? that may take time, but would eventually harden.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%