How To Dry Gumpaste **quickly**

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 5:27am by rozben

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys, I'm about to deliver a cake, and had to redo a gumpaste figure that needs to stand up by itself (with a toothpick for support)

How can I speed up the drying process? Freezer? Hairdryer? Air Vent??

HELP!!!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 6

Someone here or on the Wilton boards had mentioned (sorry, I can't recall who) to use a food dehyradtor to quickly dry gumpaste and fondant....just a suggestion, I know that most ppl don't have these laying around the kitchen icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 6

I have dried a gumpaste figure quickly by using a hairdryer. Stand about 1 foot away from the figure for a few minutes. I moved the hairdryer slowly right to left on a low setting. Do this again to the other side of the figure and the back side. I found this works best when you then allow a few minutes for the figure to "rest" (no dryer) before you do the above "rotation" again so that the gumpaste does not get warm. Keep doing the dryer rotation and resting for about an hour and the gumpaste figure will be firm enough to stay in position on your cake. Good luck!

harveybw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harveybw Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 6

I had to dry my "teapot cake" handle quickly yesterday as the first one I made broke icon_cry.gif I popped it in the oven on the lowest heat for a couple of hours, let it to completely cool and then glued it to the cake. It worked a treat icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1889759

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 6

I use the trick of putting the piece in an oven with just the oven light on now. My lowest oven setting is 170 degrees which melts everything but the oven light brings the temp to around 100 degrees so it works well.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 6

I put mine under an angle poise lamp, if need be i set it up on something higher... so its closer to the warmth of the bulb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%