I Do Not Like Marble Cupcakes!

Baking By Maria925 Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 4:54am by bigbluestar

Maria925 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 12

What a total pain these were! I'd never made them before. I used my regular yellow cake recipe which is Sylvia Weinstock. I took a cup of the batter and added 2 oz of melted baking chocolate to it. The regular batter is kind of thick to begin with, adding chocolate made it super thick! I tried to thin it by adding a small amount of milk, but I didn't want to change the batter too much.

Trying to swirl these in the paper cups was ridiculous!! The batter was so thick that the liners kept pulling in!!! Thankfully the frosting covered up most of the mess, but I have no idea what they look like inside.

Has anyone successfully made marble cupcakes? Any tips?

11 replies
Kitagrl Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 12

I did recently and it was a pain to make the different batters just for two dozen cupcakes...but I just gently marbled it in the bowl first (not too much) and then scooped it out that way.

travmand Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 12

I hate it when I have someone who wants marble "anything". Just stick with one, will ya?

Kitagrl Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

I hate it when I have someone who wants marble "anything". Just stick with one, will ya?

I know, I don't understand how that "satisfies" both people who like chocolate and people who like vanilla...that just means they might not like half their slice. haha.

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 12

It's a whole lot easier with boxed cake mixes.And I agree..I hate marble but I get alot of orders for it!

Cupcations Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 12

I always use cake mixes way easier plus the batter is always perfect
next time try filling the cup with the vanilla & put the chocolate in a piping bag with a round tip, then swirl/pipe the chocolate in the vanilla batter. Once used a baster too, youll be surprised!!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 12

It's your fault now that I have marbled cuppies in the oven and a bundt cake too. I used buttermilk instead of cream in the cold oven cheese cake and then I took some batter and added 1 ounce unsweetened choco and 2 ounces German's choco.

I covered the bottom (of pan or liner) with vanilla batter poured on some choco--marbled that down & around then added more vanilla.

See my kids aren't around to save me from caloric overload and to scarf this stuff up either. Must make some phone calls!!! The thunder thighs I save from more thunder could be my own!!!

And it's your fault!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 12

Next time try cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate. Don't put too much in.

And I agree what a pain and how is it one can't decide.

I like the Bastet idea, or how about a long tip like you do when you add a filling?
Either way if you are making them for sale I would charge more just for the extra labor!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

It's your fault now that I have marbled cuppies in the oven and a bundt cake too. I used buttermilk instead of cream in the cold oven cheese cake and then I took some batter and added 1 ounce unsweetened choco and 2 ounces German's choco.

I covered the bottom (of pan or liner) with vanilla batter poured on some choco--marbled that down & around then added more vanilla.

See my kids aren't around to save me from caloric overload and to scarf this stuff up either. Must make some phone calls!!! The thunder thighs I save from more thunder could be my own!!!

And it's your fault!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 9:07am
post #10 of 12

I just alternate the batter and swirl it with a toothpick. I do use cocoa powder to add to the yellow batter. I use alot of "two batter" cupcake recipes so it doesn't seem hard to me.

Maria925 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #11 of 12

Sorry I forgot to watch the topic and didn't realize I had replies icon_smile.gif I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just don't think I will make the marble in the cupcakes anymore. Waaaaaay to much work for a cupcake...LOL! And yeah, I don't get the attraction to it either!

bigbluestar Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #12 of 12

The anal perfectionist in me thinks marbling my orange dreamsicle cupcakes that I will bake tomorrow is an absolute must, but I KNOOOOOW its going to be a big mess that wont turn out like I want it to and I will regret it.....but I want them swirled dangit!!

Thanks for the tips! Here goes nothin'.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%