Omit Some Salt Or Not?

Baking By ReneeFLL Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 5:47pm by ReneeFLL

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 11

I am using the Bobby Flay red velvet cake recipe that calls for 1/2 teaspoon salt and 12 tablespoons unsalted butter. I only have salted butter and have to make the cake tonight and dont have time to go to the store. Should I omit the 1/2 teaspoon of salt or only some of it?
TIA

10 replies
Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 11

Personally, I have never been able to substitute salted butter for unsalted butter successfully since salted butter is soooo salty. But, if you still want to give salted butter a shot, then i think omit the 1/2 tsp of salt completely.

Let me know how it turns out. Good luck icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 11

I never put salt in any of my dessert recipes. I always omit it.

ReneeFLL Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 11

Cake_whiz
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I guess it came out ok. It tasted fine, but since I am new to baking I can't really say how much better it would have been with only unsalted butter. I now keep salted and unsalted in my freezer.

ReneeFLL Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 11

Indydebi
Do you totally eliminate the salt even if a recipe calls for it? What about salted butter? Do you use unsalted instead? I thought that salt was used to enhanced the flavors. Am I wrong? Unfortunately my taste buds like salt, but it wouldn't hurt me to use less. What do your friends/customers think of the taste? Can they tell the difference? Do you add extra flavor instead of salt? I am new to baking and this forum, but from what I have read you and your baking seem very popular.
TIA

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 11

I stopped using salt over 25 years ago when first husband had severely high blood pressure. While a 1/4 tsp is not much, its a matter of "it all adds up".

I dont' pay attn to whether my butter/margarine is salted or not. I've never read a label to see which it is. Taste difference? Beats me. I only know that the cakes/cookies/desserts I make tend to make people swoon and that's good enough for me. No one has EVER said "Hmmmmm ... needs salt!"

If you're used to one way and suddenly switch to another, I'm sure your taste buds will register a taste difference. But since this is all I've ever made for 25+ years, I can only say that my family, friends and clients don't know any other taste from me. What they get from me is what its SUPPOSE to taste like, as far as they're concerned.

Works for me! thumbs_up.gif

ReneeFLL Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the info, but I am confused. When you go to the grocery store you just pick any butter without knowing if it is the salted or unsalted kind?

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Thanks for the info, but I am confused. When you go to the grocery store you just pick any butter without knowing if it is the salted or unsalted kind?

When I was growing up, the oldest of 6 kids and we were dirt poor, my mother would have DIED before spending 4 times the money on "butter" when margarine "worked just fine!" I grew up calling any yellow stick of fat "butter". So I've actually only used real butter a couple of times in my life. Seriously, I was in my late teens or early twenties before I knew there was such a thing as butter vs margarine!! Didn't know it was 2 different things! And when I tasted "real" butter for the first time, I thought it was the nastiest stuff ever! Where the term "sweet creamery butter" came from is totally beyond me! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

So in all of my cookies and dessert recipes, I've always used Imperial margarine, which by the way is the cheapest margarine on the grocery shelf!

I've never read the label to see the salt content. I dont' add salt to any dessert recipe.

The one time I recently used real butter was when I made shortbread cookies for a special event. And no, I didnt' read the label to see if it was salted or not. Just grabbed the cheapest "butter" on the shelf.

Again ... for those who do use salt and differentiate between salted and unsalted butter, I'm sure their taste buds can tell a difference. But the stuff that comes out of my kitchen "is what it is" and its worked for me all of these decades. thumbs_up.gif

ReneeFLL Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 11

Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. Since I am new to all the cake stuff I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference between butter and margarine so I will definitely check out the Imperial.
Also, I want to try your bc recipe. I already have meringue powder and was wondering if that could be used as a substitute for the powdered dream whip?
Thanks for taking the time to help me and all the others out there.
Renee

indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 11

merinque powder is dried egg whites. dream whip is whipped cream. two different things.

ReneeFLL Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info. I will look for it today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%