What Happened? Cake Freezing...

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 3:07am by leah_s

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

So I tried freezing cakes for the first time a few days ago. I baked as I usually do, waited about 10 minutes, took cakes out of pan, wrapped securely in saran wrap (with no openings), then wrapped in foil. I put them on the top shelf in my freezer and took them out today. After 3 hours I checked and saw that one of them was pretty mushy on the bottom from condensation.
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
KS421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KS421 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 7

Did you defrost on the counter? I always put my cakes on cooling racks and haven't had that happen.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 7

My cakes are cooled before being wrapped and put into the freezer. Putting anything hot/warm into the freezer raises the temp inside the freezer. That's when bacteria can grow.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 7

Try letting them cool completely. There will be less moisture trapped due to the hot air still inside of the cake.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

I cover the cakes in waxed paper when I take them out of the pan and let them cool completely. Then I double wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze. They thaw on the counter top. Usually turn out great.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 7

I did cool them on a counter...and it was only mushy on the bottom so that makes sense. I was torn, but I've read posts where people swear by wrapping them hot. I'm doing another 'freezing' experiment tonight and I'll try letting it cool completely first then putting it on a rack.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 7

I read where people wrap them hot also, but it's a bad habit from a food safety perspective.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%