Cake Boards Sticking To Buttercream Underneath

Lounge By pheonix31571 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 1:16am by indydebi

pheonix31571 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 5

How do I keep my buttercream from sticking to my cake board when I remove it to get to another tier? Thank you for your help on this matter

Linda icon_confused.gif

4 replies
All4Show Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 5

I sprinkle the area I'm covering with the board with powdered sugar and then cut a round of wax paper the size of the cake that is going on top of the next layer.

pheonix31571 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Icing doesnt stick to wax paper?

All4Show Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

It's powdered sugar on the bottom cake first (some also use coconut), then the waxed paper circle, then the next cake which should be on a cake board. The cake board shouldn't stick to the wax paper when you remove the cake and then the paper shouldn't stick to the bottom cake because you have used ps and/or coconut underneath that.

indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 5

Are you using a crusting buttercream? If so, just be sure the icing has crusted before assembly. I cut most of my weddign cakes and can tell you from first hand experience that my icing NEVER stuck to the upper tier cardboard. If you click on my link on how to cut a wedding cake, you can see a disassembled cake, with imprints of the plastic plates on the cakes (back in the day when I used plastic plates) that shows they were not only touching but touching enough to make an impression. No sticking.

Here is a link to my Flickr site with a photo of me cutting my son's wedding cake, which had just cardboards between. notice the icing is nice and smooth on the disassembled tiers. No mess ... no sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%