Vinyl...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 2:11am by caked4life

caked4life Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 4

what makes one vinyl food safe and another vinyl not? Are they not composed of the same material?

TIA

3 replies
caked4life Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

Anyone?

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

No, they're not all the same.

The vinyl you buy in the craft store, fabric store, or WalMart, is NOT made for direct contact with food. The ingredients used to make it may be recycled materials that may contain anything from minute, invisible to the naked eye metal shards to questionable chemicals. It also contains phthalates to keep it soft & pliable. They are a possible health hazard that was brought up several years ago in relation to teething toys and bottle nipples.

The Mat is the only food safe "vinyl" that I am a aware of (not even certain that it is technically "vinyl", but it looks and acts like it's in that family). The producers of it worked closely with the manufacturer to be sure that the materials and processes used to make it allowed it to be qualified as food safe.

HTH
Rae

caked4life Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

No, they're not all the same.

The vinyl you buy in the craft store, fabric store, or WalMart, is NOT made for direct contact with food. The ingredients used to make it may be recycled materials that may contain anything from minute, invisible to the naked eye metal shards to questionable chemicals. It also contains phthalates to keep it soft & pliable. They are a possible health hazard that was brought up several years ago in relation to teething toys and bottle nipples.

The Mat is the only food safe "vinyl" that I am a aware of (not even certain that it is technically "vinyl", but it looks and acts like it's in that family). The producers of it worked closely with the manufacturer to be sure that the materials and processes used to make it allowed it to be qualified as food safe.

HTH
Rae

Makes sense. Thank you so much for replying! I think I'll order The Mat to be safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%