Is Black Mmf Impossible!!!! Urgent

Lounge By holliellen Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm by mom2three2010

holliellen Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make black mmf for the 2nd cake in a row and it is not working. It feels way to soft but I cant get it to stiffen up. I made it last night and let it rest all night and its still soft. It seems like no matter how much powdered sugar I add its still soft. I am making a corset cake and they want a pink corset but dont really care what the base color is. I am putting the corset on a 1/2 sheet cake. I could make another color of fondant and put it on but what color? I was thinking white but it needs to be sexy/sultry not girly girl so I am worried that wont work. HELP!

6 replies
katibeth88 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

So are you thinking the consistency of the fondant is a result of all the dye you had to add? I learned on here to start from chocolate fondant, and THEN add black. It takes less dye.

What recipe did you use?

holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Here is the recipe I used:

Marshmallow Fondant
4c. mini-marshmallows
4c. powdered sugar
2-4T water
Crisco

I only used a little bit of color. If you add it when the marshmallows are all melted you hardly need any color. Last time I tried I used it from chocolate first (added chocolate chips) and had the exact same result!!!!
I really dont know what happened. I made pink and flesh color the exact same way the exact same night and they were both great.

luvmysmoother Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 7

I use the same recipe you use (except I don't add water) then add a bit of cocoa (maybe a tbsp or two to 4 cups of minis) then add superblack Americolour - it works really great.

diamonds-and-rust Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7

I would use choc MMF to start with then use Americolor POWDERED color...won't change the consistency of your fondant, and you'll need much less color.

LindaF144a Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

Here is the recipe I used:

Marshmallow Fondant
4c. mini-marshmallows
4c. powdered sugar
2-4T water
Crisco

I only used a little bit of color. If you add it when the marshmallows are all melted you hardly need any color. Last time I tried I used it from chocolate first (added chocolate chips) and had the exact same result!!!!
I really dont know what happened. I made pink and flesh color the exact same way the exact same night and they were both great.

This is the recipe, but you said you added more powdered sugar?

I was going to suggest a 2-1 ratio for the MM and PS. Actually when doing ratios I think in weight, which I do for all my baking anyway. So 8 ozs of marshmallow would mean use 16 ounces of PS.

Also adding the food coloring is like adding a liquid. So substitute some of the FC for the liquid you add, which isn't much anyway and see what happens.

Lastly don't add too much shortening, even when kneading. I find the MMF absorbs it and then gets greasy. I added way to much to my last batch because I kept putting on my hands generously. Luckily more PS helped it, but I wasn't covering a cake either. I used for a cake board.

mom2three2010 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

black is very hard to achieve! and it does become very soft but i agree you do need to double your PS and try adding the color to melted mms. Good Luck if all else fails Satin Ice has a premade on in black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%