Is Black Mmf Impossible!!!! Urgent

Lounge By holliellen Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm by mom2three2010

holliellen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make black mmf for the 2nd cake in a row and it is not working. It feels way to soft but I cant get it to stiffen up. I made it last night and let it rest all night and its still soft. It seems like no matter how much powdered sugar I add its still soft. I am making a corset cake and they want a pink corset but dont really care what the base color is. I am putting the corset on a 1/2 sheet cake. I could make another color of fondant and put it on but what color? I was thinking white but it needs to be sexy/sultry not girly girl so I am worried that wont work. HELP!

6 replies
 katibeth88  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

So are you thinking the consistency of the fondant is a result of all the dye you had to add? I learned on here to start from chocolate fondant, and THEN add black. It takes less dye.

What recipe did you use?

holliellen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Here is the recipe I used:

Marshmallow Fondant
4c. mini-marshmallows
4c. powdered sugar
2-4T water
Crisco

I only used a little bit of color. If you add it when the marshmallows are all melted you hardly need any color. Last time I tried I used it from chocolate first (added chocolate chips) and had the exact same result!!!!
I really dont know what happened. I made pink and flesh color the exact same way the exact same night and they were both great.

luvmysmoother  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 7

I use the same recipe you use (except I don't add water) then add a bit of cocoa (maybe a tbsp or two to 4 cups of minis) then add superblack Americolour - it works really great.

diamonds-and-rust  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 7

I would use choc MMF to start with then use Americolor POWDERED color...won't change the consistency of your fondant, and you'll need much less color.

LindaF144a  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliellen

Here is the recipe I used:

Marshmallow Fondant
4c. mini-marshmallows
4c. powdered sugar
2-4T water
Crisco

I only used a little bit of color. If you add it when the marshmallows are all melted you hardly need any color. Last time I tried I used it from chocolate first (added chocolate chips) and had the exact same result!!!!
I really dont know what happened. I made pink and flesh color the exact same way the exact same night and they were both great.

This is the recipe, but you said you added more powdered sugar?

I was going to suggest a 2-1 ratio for the MM and PS. Actually when doing ratios I think in weight, which I do for all my baking anyway. So 8 ozs of marshmallow would mean use 16 ounces of PS.

Also adding the food coloring is like adding a liquid. So substitute some of the FC for the liquid you add, which isn't much anyway and see what happens.

Lastly don't add too much shortening, even when kneading. I find the MMF absorbs it and then gets greasy. I added way to much to my last batch because I kept putting on my hands generously. Luckily more PS helped it, but I wasn't covering a cake either. I used for a cake board.

mom2three2010  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2three2010 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

black is very hard to achieve! and it does become very soft but i agree you do need to double your PS and try adding the color to melted mms. Good Luck if all else fails Satin Ice has a premade on in black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%