Allergen Free Cake

Decorating By malexander79 Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm by Jennifer353

malexander79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malexander79 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 9

My neice can not have Milk, Egg, Wheat, Soy, Fish, Peanuts, Treenuts, Oats. So as you can imagine she cant eat anything. My brother is trying to find an allergen free cake or doughnut that he can make for her. If anyone knows of any thing or any ideas please help us out.. Thank you

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know where you're located but check out blue egg bakery based in iowa. I don't remember what their name here on CC is, but if you search her website or look for her on facebook she may be able to help you, or at least send you in the right direction.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 9

My grandson is on GF/CF diet as well, have recipes and recommendations if you want, please PM

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

Cherryhill products are gluten free, and I believe can be prepared without the allergens you listed. Their products can be found in most health food stores, or in the "natural" department of many large grocers. You may also be able to find recipes to suit your needs on www.postpunkkitchen.com. It is a vegan website, with a huge database of recipes. HTH!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 9

hi,

I am also on a gluten free diet, I recommend trying the health food store. There are many baking mixes for cakes available that are free of the allergens listed and taste very good. Pamela's brand is one of my favorites.

Online is another great place to find stuff. Amazon has a bunch of gluten free items in their food section. Gluten free mall is another great place to get allergen free stuff online. Here's a link

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/cakes-glutenfree-c-23.html?osCsid=qeuaoo7804e92qcatk134udu80

If you'd like some scratch recipes, send me a pm, I'd be happy to share them icon_smile.gif

Samudwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samudwin Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 9

Is she allergic to Gluten?

If she is, you can buy Gluten free flour blends and If not you can use a mixture of 1 third gluten free blend to two thirds spelt flour.

Rice and quinoa milk are nice alternatives to milk /soymilk. If you made a chocolate cake you could use water and oil. Have never baked without eggs before so can't help there but I know it is possible. Try googling "Gluten Free Girl" - she has some good recipes.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

malexander79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malexander79 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 5:18am
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much for in information.. This should be a good start to getting her some food she likes.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

I think the recipe below hasn't got any of the things your niece is allergic to...

Milk-free and Egg-free Bread Contributed by Christian Gassler
2 cups of (white) rice flour
1/2 cup of corn flour
1/2 cup of potato starch
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
2 tsps of locust bean flour (carob?)
3/2 tsps of salt (or use less, if you like)
1/3 oz of yeast (or equiv in dry yeast)
3/2 tsps of sugar
2 tbls of (olive) oil
1/2 tbls of (apple) vinegar
lukewarm water

1) I put the yeast and the sugar in a glass measure, that can hold 2 cups or more.

2) I mix all dry ingredients (by hand) in a sufficiently large bowl. I grind my own flours, but you can also use commercially available flours, if you are sure, that they are gf (politely ask your supplier).

3) I butter a spring form (8..10 in diam) and generously dust it with the above dry mix, the flour that does not stick to the form goes back into the bowl.

4) Meanwhile, the yeast and sugar have dissolved, so I add 1 cup of lukewarm water, the oil and vinegar and mix it, until it looks milky. Then I fill up to a level 2 cups and mix again.

5) I mix the dry and wet mixes and stir it with a wooden spoon. This action builds strong arms and hands.

6) depending on the consistency of the dough, I add lukewarm water, until the dough is smooth and just a bit thinner than regular dough.

7) I put the dough into the spring form and put it in the handwarm oven to rise for 40-60 minutes, form covered by damp cloth. (try to keep the cloth away from dough)

icon_cool.gif After rising, I crank up the heat to 220 CELSIUS (430 Farenheit), using both the hot air and infrared heater that my oven supplies. The heat is usually reached after a few minutes. At 220 Celsius, I set the heat back to 200 Celsius (400 F). After 10-15 minutes, I cover the form and bake the bread for a total of 50-70 minutes.

The whole procedure sounds rather annoying, but once you have it in your blood, it is really easy ... BUT depending on the dry ingredients, you have to experiment a little bit with the proportions of dry ingredients and water, maybe also with the ammount of yeast needed. Too much yeast makes the dough go quickly and collapse while baking!

The bread thus created can be used for multiple purposes: Just bread (toasted or not), Pizza (prebake a flat! loaf), Pizza bianca (flat bread with olive oil and salt on top), Pizza bianca with onions (add onion rings on top), and a lot of variations with doughs containing nuts, olives, grilled bacon etc. do not limit your imagination!

I got it from: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~kupstas/FAQ_recipes.html#Index4

If it is possible to get gluten free baking powder the Terrific Belgian Waffles and the Pumpkin cookies on that site might be a consideration too.

She also refers to a book called Allergic People Eat Desserts too which may have some for your requirements http://www.amazon.com/dp/0969546408/?tag=cakecentral-20

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 9

I was digging through some more links I had and found a couple more suggestions:

Easy 5 Minute Allergy Friendly Fruit Cake (well thats the title although there is overnight soaking)
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-5-minute-allergy-friendly-fruit-cake-443682

Vanilla Sponge Cake- Gluten, Dairy, Nut and Egg Free
http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-sponge-cake-gluten-dairy-nut-and-egg-free-309848

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%