Satin Ice Rant! Grrr!!!

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 4:45pm by MommaDukes

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #31 of 32

I've never used Satin Ice but I've had some disasters with McCalls fondant - tastes good now but it's so soft I can never cover a cake without it looking like it's melting a few hours later. Great for pillow cakes, not so much the rest.

I use Virgin Ice which I think is a local brand through the bulk food store. It tends to crack when I use their black fondant but the rest of the colours are good so far. I usually mix virgin ice black with McCalls black and it works out. Virgin Ice dries very quickly as well.

(I'd be curious about rave review posted by someone who made their very first post about a product. Seems like Satin Ice might be watching the thread? lol)

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 4:45pm
post #32 of 32

I had a bad experience with Satin Ice. I sent an email advising them of the problem and of all the comments on CC.
I received an email back that they were not experiencing problems and was sorry for the problems. I provided them with the batch #.
I received a replacement 2 lb bucket. It was fine, it was perfect. I've had no other problems with Satin Ice.
Forward several months:
I was working on a wedding cake and 27 centerpiece cakes. I had a 20 lb bucket, perfect no problems. I ran out of fondant, OH POO, off to the cake store a 30 minute drive each way. When I went outside I found a UPS package from Satin Ice.... hmmmm It was a 5 lb bucket of satin ice. OH YES, Thank you Jesus!!!!!
There was a very nice letter from Satin Ice saying they were sorry for the problems I have had. They also asked me let them know about the quality of the fonant. This confirms they have had a problem and were working on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%