Discovery's "how's It's Made" Kitchenaid

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 16 Dec 2010 , 3:41am by warchild

cakecraft Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 15

My DH was watching "How It's Made" today and called me in from the kitchen...they were showing the production/assembly of KitchenAids, both the artisan tilt head models and Pro5 bowl lifts.

I was paying close attention, particularly to the internal components. Surprisingly, the only plastic pieces inside were part of the electronics! The gears and assembly were all metal. On both models they showed.

I don't know how old the show was, but it seemed relatively new.

What do you make of this? Did I misunderstand the whole Hobart/Whirlpool metal/plastic thing or are plastic KitchenAid parts an urban legend? LOL

Someone clue me in! I don't have a KitchenAid but now I am considering one....

14 replies
costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 15

I think that someone said that they've started using metal parts in the Pro KAs again. I'm going to go take mine part to look icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 15

Here's the result of my super-scientific investigation...This is a KA 6 quart pro that I bought about 3 years ago. I can't vouch for the smaller models, since I gave those away recently and I only have the 6 qts left to look at.

metria Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 15

thanks for sharing! i found it:

costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 15

That big one at the end is exactly what the inside of mine looks like. Seeing it put together it's definitely metal, and now I know why there's so much gunk in it. That's a generous amount of grease they put in, isn't it icon_eek.gif

denetteb Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 15

very interesting videos and pic of your mixers innards. Thanks for sharing. Anyone know where the KA plant is?

warchild Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 15

Kitchen Aid is a whirlpool product now. My old one has made in the USA as it was made by hobart when I bought it. Check the bottom of your KA, it will most likely say, made in China.

denetteb Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #8 of 15

I just checked under mine which I bought in Dec '07 and it says assembled in USA.

warchild Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 15
Originally Posted by denetteb

I just checked under mine which I bought in Dec '07 and it says assembled in USA.

Yeah, I was off on that. Its the parts that are supposedly made in China. Mind you, pretty well all parts for all appliances are made in China now anyway. Cheap labor for the companies we have to buy from unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old trusty KA, its solid as a rock, but I'd not buy a newer model. I've read too many negative reviews researching what larger mixer to buy. The negatives outweighed the positives for me when it was time to decide.
I did purchase a refurbished 6 qt KA pro about 4 yrs ago and it soured me off KA all the more. The refurbished machine I was assured was as good as a new one turned out to be a piece of junk. I sold it off cheap then did a lot of checking around, and ended up buying a 7qt Viking over the Cuisinart. I haven't had any problems with my Viking at all.

warchild Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 15

Heres a thread on stand mixers from Chef Talk that might help you out.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 15

I've never heard of KitchenAid using plastic parts. i bought mine almost ten years ago and I figure for something so heavy, there's no way they could have used plastic parts in it!

artscallion Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:31am
post #12 of 15

When kitchenaid was sold a few years back, they decided to make some of the gears out of plastic. This was done, not out of cheapness, but exactly the opposite. The gears were designed to break, but only at the point where the motor was about to burn out from being overburdened. It's a LOT cheaper for the consumer to replace a plastic gear than it is to replace an entire burned out motor.

Unfortunately, the market didn't care for this solution and balked at the thought of metal being replaced with plastic. So a couple years ago, they returned to using the metal gears. So now, if you overburden your machine, the motor will burn out, just like in the old days.

cakecraft Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:43am
post #13 of 15

Interesting! Lots to consider for sure...I guess it's like any major purchase, everyone has different needs, tastes and preferences. Otherwise, we'd all be driving identical cars and living in identical houses! But knowledge is power, and I like to make informed choices, so this is very helpful. Thanks all!

cakecraft Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the thread, warchild.

warchild Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:41am
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by cakecraft

Thanks for the thread, warchild.

Your welcome.

Here's another page you might find interesting. I have this one saved as who makes what nowadays, can be very confusing! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%