The Mat.. Anybody Use It???

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 12:26am by AngelinaMomof3

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 15

Hi,
Super curious about THE MAT...
I was wondering if any of you have the mat and what you thought of it?
Is it faster, or does it cause any problems??
TIA,
Jodi

14 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 15

I bought it and thought afterwards why I didnt just go to the local fabric store and buy the same thing cheaper! Its basically two pieces of plastic that you can get at the fabric store (they use it for covering tables and things). But other than that I love it! I used the same idea with press and seal or parchmant paper when I rolled out my cookie dough or pie crust. So the techinique works really well! The Mat is large so you want to make sure that you roll it up when your done or fold it without creasing it. Otherwise you will get wrinkles in it which can put wrinkles in your fondant. But you can use a iron on it and get it smooth again if that happens. Just make sure its a low setting! But I have other silicone mats that I paid a ton of money for and they all have slices in them and some of them actually have stains from the coloring of fondant! The slices were me using the pizza cutter on the fondant and it went right threw the fondant and the mat. It then will make lines in your fondant every time I use it afterwards. But its an expensive mistake to make on it. So for a lot less money this Mat works just as well if not better because your rolling pin doesnt come in contact with the fondant directly and you can see threw it so you know where your putting the fondant!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 15

Bought it, love it! Sure it's a bit pricey but well worth it!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 15

I use it for everything. Wouldn't do without it.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:00am
post #6 of 15

LOVE the Mat! Now I enjoy covering cakes with fondant.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:04am
post #7 of 15

I just got one on Tuesday. My husband bought it for me without my knowledge. I can't wait to use it tomorrow. YAY!!! I will let you know after I use it.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 15

I used my mat for the first time about a week ago. the mat worked very well. I did not have any problems using it. However, I did roll the fondant a bit to thin about less than 1/8th of an inch. The fondant went on the cake without tearing however.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 15

So confused... icon_lol.gif
what should I do???
Thanks for all the replies! icon_smile.gif
I will have to read more and then probably buy it...lol
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 15

i say buy it . . As regards to the post about buying the same from fabric shops, its not the same , i read and re-read all the original posts about it, and the mat is totally food safe, made to food grade standards where as the stuff from the fabric shop might do the same job, it may not be food safe. For the price, i think its a great buy!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 15

I love, love, love mine! Compared to the price of other caking equipment, I thought the price was reasonable, too.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 15

I love, love, love mine! Compared to the price of other caking equipment, I thought the price was reasonable, too.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 15

Wondering what I did wrong with the mat. I used and it didn't work well at all. I greased like the directions said, it didn't stick to the mat I just seemed to have to work really hard to roll it out and had little "poc" marks all over the fondant. Finally gave up and rolled it out on the counter as usual.

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 15

I order the Mat out of curiosity and I used it today for the first time. I absolutely love it! Will use it everytime from now on.

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:26am
post #15 of 15

I LOVE MINE!!! I don't know what I would of done without it this week. I think it's fantastic. The website said they'll come out with a deluxe Mat at some point with a guide on it. For now I put my wilton mat under THE MAT and I can gauge how much fondant I've rolled out.. I love it, I love it, I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%