Glitter On Buttercream

Decorating By StaceySouth Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 4:45am by StaceySouth

StaceySouth Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I have this wedding cake I'm doing for Saturday the 11th. Three tiers. The middle tier will have fondant snowflakes covered in pixie dust. That part is easy. The part I'm wondering about is the bride wants the pixie dust very lightly added to the bottom of the other two tiers which are all buttercream. So how do I apply the pixie dust and make sure it stays on? Am I making this harder than it sounds? I'm worried that it won't stay on the buttercream.

4 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't done this yet, but I would think it would be fine,a s long as you are using a crusting buttercream.

Coral3 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 5

It will stick well to buttercream (apply the glitter BEFORE the buttercream has a chance to dry on the surface)

diamonds-and-rust Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 5

Use a very large, fluffy-type brush with very soft bristles. I use Bare Minerals brush (ONLY used for cakes) and it works like a charm. Remember, the looser, fluffier brushes will give you a very light coverage which is what you want for your BC. Just like with mineral makeup, the more dense and compact the bristles will give you a heavy coverage (kabuki brush) and a fluffy brush (like what the sell for the mineral veil) will give you a very light application. Apply your shimmer before the icing has crusted.

StaceySouth Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 5

You all are great! Thanks so much for the replies! I'll post pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%