Cake Servings

Decorating By psychmom Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 7:01pm by psychmom

psychmom Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone tell me where to find a serving chart that tells realistic servings for things like birthday parties. The Wilton chart just doesn't work when someone just starts hacking up a cake - OY!
I turned my 10 inch round upside down and drew lines on it in wedge pieces - I got about 18 pieces.
Thank you so much - I'm sure you all have answered this many times before so I really appreciate the help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
nancyg Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 7

I too would like this info...thanks

tootie0809 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

Wedge pieces? No wonder you only got 18. A 10-inch round should serve about 38. If you cut it like the Wilton chart says, you will get the correct amount of servings. Of course, if you want to cut the slices bigger, then that's up to you, but I always go by that chart and tell customers it's up to them how many pieces they want to get. I give them the chart as a guideline.

leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

You cut pie in wedges. Cake is cut into rectangles, 1" X 2" X the height of the cake (usually 4").

leily Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by psychmom

The Wilton chart just doesn't work when someone just starts hacking up a cake - OY!

No chart is going to give you accurate servings when someone justs hacks into a cake.

I have been to many parties recently where i have NOT cut the cake and not mentioned how to cut a cake to the person who is doing the cutting. 99% of the time they are cutting pieces to the wilton standard size of 1x2x4 and 2x2x2. When you think about the dimensions they dont' sound like very big, but evidently it's right on... sometimes Wilton does know what they're talking about.

I always give a copy of Indydebi's how to cut a cake (linked above by pp) and everyone is always glad to have a guide. Most cake civilians don't realize you can cut a round cake any other way than a "wedge", it's our job to educate them.

Restaurants cut their cakes in wedges for desert slices and they charge accordingly to how much cake you get in a serving. If they're only getting 18 slices out of a 10" cake then your price per serving should be at least double that of someone elses standard size since there is more ake in the serving.

psychmom Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks icon_smile.gif
I have had people ask me how many pieces they can get by cutting it in wedges.
Giving out the instructions is the answer - Perfect!
I was at a wedding the other day and the caterer was hacking into the cake - she needed the instructions... OY! I had to just grab my piece and walk away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%