Wonder Mold Doll Pan

Baking By leahyma Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm by HowCoolGomo1

leahyma Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a princess cake with the Wilton Wonder Mold Doll Pan and I cannot get the cake to turn out right. If I bake it long enough for the center to get done then the outside is burnt and hard as a rock. I have tried several times and fail every time. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

4 replies
kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 5

are you filling it all the way? i usually only fill it 3/4 of the way. i use a really dense batter too and havent had any problems. If it seems to be taking a lOOOOng time to bake, and its starting to get a bit dark on the top--i will cover it with tin foil to keep it from browining any further. you are going to cut the hump off the top anyway so it can stand level. i also usually bake 2 8" rounds for under the wondermold pan (for barbie cake)...otherwise you have to use the ugly one that comes with it. if you use a real barbie, the "skirt" will be too short and her torso will stick up out of it too high. hth.

also, bake it at a lower temp. try 325 or 335 instead of 350. it will take longer, but bake more evenly and possibly not brown as much. i always have to use the tinfoil at the end of my baking cycle for that pan. and dont forget to put the heating rod in it!!!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 5

Try baking at the lower temps previously recommended. My oven takes easily 1 1/2 hours. I start checking about the hour mark. You also may need to turn the pan. Some ovens (mine) don't bake evenly.

Otherwise you can try my recipes. They hold the shape but don't get crispy on the outsides.

I'm sure you've done this but check your oven temp. Preheat for at least 30 minutes and check it's temperature. My oven is freaky. Some days spot on for temp. and others it varies anywhere from 10 to 25 degrees either direction.

This is my basic recipe for chocolate cake in the W 3D pans.

7 eggs
1 c veg. oil
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/3 cup water
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
2 pkgs of Duncan Hines Moist deluxe ( I use a combination of Devils and Dark Chocolate or 2 dark chocolates)
1 tbsp of instant expresso powder

Mix on low so everything is wet and turn to medium for 2 minutes in a stand mixer. Hand mixer beat on high for 2 minutes.

Chocolate cakes I grease with my pan grease 2:1 grease to flour and dust with cocoa powder.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.

Don't over fill the pan, grease and flour the heating core very well.

There will be leftover batter for cupcakes or cake balls.

Non chocolate cakes...
7 eggs
2 1/13 cups water
2/3 cup oil
1 package instant pudding mix
2 pkgs of Duncan Hines any flavor but chocolate

Bake as above.

There will be leftover batter.

cassi_g16 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 5

Don't forget the center rod, that helps it cook evenly.... i always cook at about 25 degree lower temp than what things are called for and cook it a little longer....like 325 and I put a big pan of water in the bottom of the oven to keep the cake moist....This pan I think took 1 1/2 maybe closer to 2 using this method to cook. and I fill my pan about 2/3-3/4 full. HTH

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 5

Forgot, I like greasing with butter flavored crisco. Automatically you can see if you missed a spot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%