Manderly42 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of

I tried making the gelatin bubbles yesterday and when I popped the balloons, the gelatin just collapsed with it! What am I doing wrong? I used the Knox brand gelatin, 1 part gelatin to 2 parts water. Everything looked great until I popped the balloons.... Am I missing a step, or an ingredient??

TIA!

65 replies
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of

If you pm sweetflowers, I bet she will help you!

sweetflowers Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of

Either you didn't coat it thick enough (you need to dip 2 or 3 times) or it wasn't dry yet. It's takes several hours or overnight, depending on the weather. I use a small fan to speed that up.

Oh, and you also need to make sure you have shortening (just a little) on the balloon before you coat it with gelatin, or it will stick.

Manderly42 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of

That was fast! Thanks!

Okay, so it sounds like I just need a few extra coats and more patience. And a little crisco. Otherwise, the gelatine to water ratio is right? Can I substatute anything for the water to make it smell / taste better?

sweetflowers Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of

I have used candy oil and an artifical sweetener in my water to help with the smell/taste. But it won't have any oder once the ball is dry. I don't recommend eating them, they are very hard.

Manderly42 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:32pm
post #6 of

Thank you!!

Sweetgrl1963 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of

where do you get the balloons for this.and is that all you use is gellatin and the water?iI have always wanted to try this .

Manderly42 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:48am
post #8 of

Sorry - haven;t been on in a while. I just bought latex balloons at Walmart. I used Knox brand gelatin and water. Here is the thread where I found the instructions:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-692712.html
Scroll down a bit and you'll see a very lengthy post - that is the info on how to do them. I am going to attempt it again, hopefully this week. I'll post pictures if all turns out well!

Karen421 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:52am
post #9 of

Water balloons work really well. icon_smile.gif

aundrea Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 3:57am

ive been wanting to try these as well.
when you say one part gelatin to two parts water.
how much geletin and how much water.
i have the gelatin and small water balloons.
i also printed out the instructions from the attached post.
just need to clarify the measurements.
thanks-they look so pretty what a nice touch to any cake.

Manderly42 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 1:06pm

Here is the recipe I used:
http://www.gelatindesigns.com/howitworks.php

Manderly42 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm

Okay - I'm attempting to make these a second time and I've taken pictures every step of the way. I used crisco and I will let them sit overnight. If I am successful this time I will post a tutorial with pictures (I'm am visual learner and need pictures!)

mcdonald Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:48pm

I have a big 16 birthday party cake for 300 people due next month and I think I am going to try these on the cake.. they sound sooo cool!!! Do you know if you can put luster dust in for color?? I was wanting some silver ones.. ideas or thoughts on that???

How do you stick them to the cake... just royal?

Manderly42 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 8:48pm

Well - i looks like the gelatine part works but the balloons are deflating icon_sad.gif I'll wait until tomorrow to see how the gelatine sets up overnight and if it works, then I'll just try different balloons.

mcdonald - I've seen them colored before you just need to use liquid color - not gel or powder. As for lustre dust - maybe brush it on after? Not sure...

sweetflowers Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 9:25pm

I put luster dust in the water first, before adding the gelatin. It tends to settle so a little slow stir before each dip is needed.

I also have a pictorial tutorial coming out in a week or so in the ICES newsletter. Submitted it last August, can't wait.

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:54pm

I have that video and it's awesome! I can't wait for the DVD to come out! icon_biggrin.gif

JawdroppingCakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 6:08pm

I have airbrushed my bubbles to get the sheen on them at the end. No problems with them messing up...hope that helps...I also have airbrushed color onto them. I have some in one of my pics.

lutie Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 6:54pm

what red is used?

JanH Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 10:34pm

yen4cakes gelatin bubble help:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=690

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413-.html

HTH

bakencake Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm

hey guys check this out
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1895732

just saw on most saved cakes

lutie Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:25am

Could someone tell me what sixlets candy are? It was on that lovely wedding cake with bubbles.

JanH Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:25am

Google is your friend. icon_smile.gif

Sixlets and Candy = http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=sixlets+candy&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&rlz=1I7ADRA_en

HTH

lutie Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:43am
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Google is your friend. icon_smile.gif

Sixlets and Candy = http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=sixlets+candy&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&rlz=1I7ADRA_en

HTH

Ha! Ha! icon_lol.gif JanH, I have never ever seen those before in my life! Are they fruit flavored or those fake candy necklaces? On the cake they were airbrushed, so I could not really tell what they are! Thanks for the site, but I am still clueless icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:50am

They're chocolate inside, but a sweeter chocolate than M&Ms.
I still have some left from Halloween. I'm nursing them, because that's the only time I can find them around here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lutie Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:16am
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

They're chocolate inside, but a sweeter chocolate than M&Ms.
I still have some left from Halloween. I'm nursing them, because that's the only time I can find them around here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Not to beleaguer the question, but is the outside harder than the M & M's? I was wondering because it looks like it would be nice around the cakes.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:32am
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawdroppingCakes

I have airbrushed my bubbles to get the sheen on them at the end. No problems with them messing up...hope that helps...I also have airbrushed color onto them. I have some in one of my pics.

Your cake is georgeous!!!!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 3:02am

These are so cool! Definitely on my list(and it's a LONG one!) of stuff to try!

sweetflowers Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:15pm

Sixlets are like m&m's except for the shape and type of chocolate. I remember the candy coating is similar. But getting them in white, I haven't seen, they were always in multi colored packs.

pood Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:11pm

I am on vacation this week and gelatin bubbles were on my list of things to try. Well, I've tried them three times and all three times were failures! I used water balloons, mixed the gelatin 1 part gelatin to 2 parts water, coated the balloons lightly with shortening, dipped three times and hung them up and let set overnight to dry. The hanging to dry resulted in a "nipple" on the bottom of the bubbles. When I popped the balloons they deflated but were difficult to get out of the bubbles. I finally got them out and the bubbles tore and were thin and flimsy not hard like was posted here. I will not be able to use any of the ones I made. I love the look of them and would really like to master this, can anyone help?
Linda

Pam57 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm

Sixlets are sold at Hobby Lobby in the bridal section. They sell several colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%