Gelatin Bubbles

Decorating By Manderly42 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm by meenu

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #31 of 66

I have tried making these bubbles twice and twice they have failed icon_sad.gif I would love if someone could do a very detailed instruction sheet (especially the parts on how to mix the box geletin and water ) on how to do these.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:04pm
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerWoman

I have tried making these bubbles twice and twice they have failed icon_sad.gif I would love if someone could do a very detailed instruction sheet (especially the parts on how to mix the box geletin and water ) on how to do these.

If you look on this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6385805-.html&sid=ea8c468dc89c833047574275431c7eac

You will find info on how to do the gelatin bows this is a long one but the info applies

and here are pictures, again pictures for bows but pretty much the info can be used to do the bubbles

http://cakecentral.com/articles/694/how-to-make-gelatin-flowers-and-bows

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #33 of 66

pood & DesignerWoman, I sent you each a pm, I hope it helps.

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #34 of 66

Thank you so much for the instructions cownsj! I noticed a few things that I did not do the first two times I tried the bubbles. I also tried to send you an email back, but got a general error.

Thanks again
Designer woman

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 6:35pm
post #35 of 66

I've read the instructions yen4cakes gave fromt the gelatin bows and flowers thread but I'm a little confused about something. Part of the instructions tell you to "attach balloon to cup and stick". I understand the stick part - to hold the balloon while drying, but not the cup part. Guess I'm a little more visual and just can't get this straight in my head. Would someone please explain this?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #36 of 66

So, how do you avoid the bubbles getting nipples?

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:35am
post #37 of 66

Thanks so much for the info and PM! I can't wait for a cake that I can try these out on!

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:48am
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

So, how do you avoid the bubbles getting nipples?

Pinch the nipple end, and tie it to the knot. It's unnerving when you first do it, because it seems like it should pop the balloon, but it doesn't. In fact, it makes the balloon even more round.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerWoman

Thank you so much for the instructions cownsj! I noticed a few things that I did not do the first two times I tried the bubbles. I also tried to send you an email back, but got a general error.

Thanks again
Designer woman

I tried to send you a pm, just to see if you could do a reply on that, but I don't think that went through to you either. (that was the other day, not sure if it's working yet)

leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #40 of 66

I think I mean as the bubbles are drying and the gelatin pools at one end.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #41 of 66

I tape a toothpick (point broken off), to the knotted end and stand it up in a piece of foam to dry. That way, any extra is coming down the knot end which is the end being attached to the cake anyway, and the other side stays smooth.

leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 2:37am
post #42 of 66

10-4

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:44pm
post #43 of 66

My picture tutorial just came out in the ICES newsletter, I also have one on my website. Not sure why the mods will delete this, since we have tons of links to tutorials on here, but oh, well.

leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #44 of 66

My bubbles are a bit sad looking.

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:01pm
post #45 of 66

They just take a little bit of practice. Are you waiting for them to harden all the way? I mean, get hard that they don't feel like geletin anymore, and hard all the way to the toothpick? Maybe you need your geletin slightly thinner when you are dipping it; but make sure it's not too hot or you're balloon will burst.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #46 of 66

Thanks for the Info Ladies. I can't wait to try making them.

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:54pm
post #47 of 66

Cownsj thank you so much for the tutorial! I tried again using your instructions and had much greater success. I will continue to make more!

cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:06pm
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pood

Cownsj thank you so much for the tutorial! I tried again using your instructions and had much greater success. I will continue to make more!

You're very welcome, and I'm so glad it worked for you. Have fun with it.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

My picture tutorial just came out in the ICES newsletter, I also have one on my website. Not sure why the mods will delete this, since we have tons of links to tutorials on here, but oh, well.

Hi, is it in the December or January issue? Thanks a bunch! icon_smile.gif

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

Your tutorial is awesome. Can't wait to try this!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #51 of 66

Naturepixie - it is in the January 2011 ICES newsletter thumbs_up.gif

sweetflowers Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #52 of 66

Thanks so much... the pictures really help. They did cut some of them for the January article, so I have the full one on my website.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:41am
post #53 of 66

WOW!!! THANK YOU!!!! The turorial was awesome. I am such a visual person. The step by step could not have been any better.

aandaraw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandaraw Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #54 of 66

I love it thank you!!!! your tutorial is awesome, aim going to try to do some on the weekend for my daughters cake

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #55 of 66

thank you for posting this

Vanessa7 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:05am
post #56 of 66

Thank you for the tutorial link! I tried making a large bubble - large enough for a snow globe but had a hard time trimming the excess gelatin off. Guess I left it to dry in front of the fan too long. It also appeard a little smudgy, not sure if that was from the shortening on the balloon or what. I didn't add any kind of color to the gelatin so next time I'll add some. Definately gonna try this again! This is a very cool technique.

sweetflowers Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #57 of 66

There's a trick to that....it is a little smudgy from the shortening, so I spray the inside of the ball with Pam (not shortening) once I deflate the balloon, just a little bit and it shines it up. Other products might work too, but since the gelatin is sensitive to water this is what I have tried so far.

For trimming the bottom, I don't wait until the ball is dry, I wait until it's set up and easily handled (could be an hour or two) but still a little flexible, then I can easily trim with scissors, being VERY careful not to pop the balloon. You will find a large balloon is very heavy and hard to handle when making the snow globes.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:38pm
post #58 of 66

sweetflowers can you pm me the newsletter link and your website address.

Vanessa7 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:38am
post #59 of 66

Thank you for the tips sweetflower! I think my gelatin went on thick and then I had the large balloon in front of the fan so it dried really quickly. I will definately try the pam, would have never thought of that. icon_biggrin.gif

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #60 of 66

I tried making my bubbles last night and I am having a hard time making even coats around the balloon. Are most people painting on the gelatine for an even coat or am I the only one who can't seem to get even coats using the dipping method?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%