What Flovour Of Buttercream Goes Well With Gingerbread Cake?

Baking By cakeastic Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm by cakeastic

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 14

Ive been trying to think of a flavour of buttercream that would taste nice with a gingerbread cake and can be covered with fondant. Any ideas?
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
loopooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopooh Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 14

Hi there
I made one recently which was the ginerbread cake recipe from the Confetti cakes book with a chocolate buttercream (also from their book)
was delicious!
She suggests also a cream cheese frosting with it
HTH
Lou

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 14

In the recent Food Network magazine, Bobby Flay has a recipe for his gingerbread cupcakes with mango buttercream. Sounds interesting? I bet any flavor really would go, if you want the focus to be on the cake then go for a milder flavor buttercream (vanilla).

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 14

Caramel!!!!!

lizbet22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbet22 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 14

I recently did a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting. I think cream cheese would work with gingerbread as well.

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 14

try cream cheese icing.....yummmmm!

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 14

I did mine with a cream cheese frosting that has cinnamon in it....sooooo good with gingerbread.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 14

Cinnamon Buttercream...mmmm! You can find the recipe on here, just search for "revised snickerdoodle cake". It's included in there.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 14

Just reading about this is making my mouth water!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 14

I actually am making a gingerbread cake and filling with lemon BC and topping with cream cheese BC.

Lemon, strange, right? But, my grandma made it years ago with a delish lemon sauce and it was just right! Guarantee you, if you google gingerbread cake, lemon is the most popular pairing.

cakeastic Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 14

I love the idea of cinnamon cream cheese icing but the problem is, i want to cover it with fondant and cream cheese needs refridgeration. icon_sad.gif

Lemon icing also sounds interesting but wouldnt ginger and lemon be too powerful? icon_rolleyes.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Lemon, strange, right? But, my grandma made it years ago with a delish lemon sauce and it was just right! Guarantee you, if you google gingerbread cake, lemon is the most popular pairing.

My grandmother made the exact same thing....a cooked lemon sauce for the gingerbread!

You CAN put fondant in the fridge so if you really want to do cream cheese, you can. Some fridges are more humid than others and could cause condensation or sweating when you take the cake out. Let it air dry without touching it and it will be fine.

Cinnamon buttercream would be my top choice!! yum!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeastic

I love the idea of cinnamon cream cheese icing but the problem is, i want to cover it with fondant and cream cheese needs refridgeration. icon_sad.gif

Lemon icing also sounds interesting but wouldnt ginger and lemon be too powerful? icon_rolleyes.gif

I always refrigerate my fondant. You just need to remove it without touching it and let it do it's thing until reaching RT and the condensation evaporates.

cakeastic Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 14

Wow, thanks alot!!
I guess it'll be gingerbread with cream cheese with a bit of cinnamon. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%