What Are The Measurements For Layers ??

Decorating By strathmore Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm by ChunkkeeMunkkee

strathmore Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:33am
post #1 of 5

Yes dumb question but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the actual measurement should be for the layers for 1 layer of filling and 2 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling and so on and still get a 4 inch cake icon_rolleyes.gif . I feel so thick. My maths sucks totally and I get it wrong every time icon_cry.gif . Can someone spell it out for me - like for 1 layer of bc you have cake layers of.... or point me to a topic - I have searched but I could not find the one I am looking for. Plus here we are metric but I like to use the inches for cake but if someone has a metric table of it then that would be handy too thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:40am
post #2 of 5

My cake layers are 7/8" plus the filling between. 4 layers of cake +3 layers of filling + the icing on top = 4"

I use my Agbay to make the perfect cut.

brincess_b Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 11:56am
post #3 of 5

It really doesn't matter what's on the inside as long the outside looks the same (unless ur a business, then u really do need a standard).
I do two sponges about 1.5 inches. Can either do one layer of filling, or torte them for three layers of filling.

tsal Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not in business, but my tiers end up just over 4" or just under, but they are always right around 4" so I don't drive myself nuts measuring (since I don't have a method to get them exactly 4").

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 5

I worked for a bakery and all cakes were 3 layers plus filling totaling 4" in height. They went by box depth. Most cake boxes that I have seen are between 4-6 inches in height. I use Wilton pans that are 2 inches deep but by the time it's leveled they are more along the 1.5 inch mark. Don't kill yourself over the height thing (unless you are professional and need a standard). The decorating part is already stressful enough lol. Good Luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%