Italian Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Kailea Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 4:15am by Kailea

Kailea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kailea Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:47am
post #1 of 8

I'm sorry if this has been asked a dozen time before but I have read and read until my head hurts icon_redface.gif Can you leave Italian Meringue buttercream out of the fridge for awhile and also is it for piping flower and things on the cake...? Also can you use it under Fondant and do you have to keep it in the fridge then ? Has anyone added crisco to this recipe also?
Thanks for the help
Kailea

7 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 8

Hello!

You can usually leave IMBC out of the fridge for up to two days, but usually, when I am done working on the cake, I put it back in the fridge.

Some people have used Crisco with good results, but the flavor won't be the same, of course. If you are afraid of using butter because of refrigeration or heat issues, that's understandable, but I have never had a problem. I also always melted and cooled white chocolate in my IMBC, which I think adds to the stability. I never make it with straight butter.

You can use it under fondant just fine, but the 48 hours max out of the fridge is still in affect. It helps to make sure the icing is nice and cold--so ice the cake and stick in the fridge to make sure it is very firm before covering.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 8

3GCakes: how much white chocolate do you add?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 8

My standard recipe involves 8 egg whites (the equivalent of one box of pasteurized egg whites)....about 2 pounds plus one stick of butter and about 2 1/2 cups of sugar.

So...I can get anywhere between 8-12 ounces of white choco in it (or semi sweet)...I usually use Baker's Brand.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

I have no problem piping with meringue buttercreams.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't had a problem leaving it out of the fridge longer than 2 days. I actually dislike putting it the fridge as it makes it solidify and when it comes back to room temperature it's just not as fluffy. Obviously common sense is needed, you wouldn't leave it out for over a week, but I've had good results with 3- 4 days on cuppies and as cake filling. All my cuppies in my pictures are piped with imbc.

Kailea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kailea Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for the info... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%