Sugar Shack Bc Icing Was Gritty...what Went Wrong?

Baking By julesh268 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 8:18am by JanH

julesh268 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 22

I have made this 2x and the first time I chalked it up to the fact that I was making it chocolate and screwed up along the way. The second time I followed the directions exactly and it turned out gritty. Complete garbage. Anyone know where I went wrong?

21 replies
msulli10 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of 22

was the creamer mixture hot and completely diluted when you added it to the shortening? It needs to be hot so everything kind of melts together.

All4Show Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 22

Did you sift your powdered sugar?

madgeowens Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:57am
post #4 of 22

the creamer needs to be hot....I love her recipe

mccowen73 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 22

I have found your shortning needs to have atleast 3 grams of trans fat or it tends to be grainy

JanH Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

I have made this 2x and the first time I chalked it up to the fact that I was making it chocolate and screwed up along the way. The second time I followed the directions exactly and it turned out gritty. Complete garbage. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Did you use the same brand ingredients as the recipe?

All4Show Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccowen73

I have found your shortning needs to have atleast 3 grams of trans fat or it tends to be grainy

What brand of shortening do you use? The store brand I have used in the past has removed the trans fat.

deah Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 22

I had this happen one time and I chalked it up to bad PS.

kpry Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 22

My last batch was gritty (I mean so gritty it could not be used) too. I thought I made the liquid too hot and because I actually used some real half and half. I have made it before and it was fine.

LindaF144a Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccowen73

What brand of shortening do you use? The store brand I have used in the past has removed the trans fat.

I have never made this frosting. But Jennifer Dontz in her DVD The Easy & Tasty Wat to Perfect Fondant said that she switched to this icing because the transfat was taken out of shortening and this is the only icing that works for her now.

And coffee mate powdered form does have .5 transfat PER serving. How much of this do you add to the frosting, last I remember it was 1 cup. I am going by memory, but I remember it is something like 12 Tablespoons for the 5 quart recipe. And a serving of coffee mate is not 1 cup (I cannot find the serving size for coffee mate on their website), so you are adding a lot of transfat using that much coffee mate in the recipe. My guess is more than 3%.

I don't believe it is the shortening because with the dairy creamer you are adding a significant amount of transfat. Maybe it is the brand of PS or even powdered dairy creamer you use, even if it is dissolved. Who know how it reacts to all the ingredients.

I do plan on trying this recipe soon. Although I am not a transfat fan. But I need something stable like this for wedding cakes and I will not be eating every wedding cake I make. icon_razz.gif I figure I can make the compromise for special occasions like a wedding.

Ladyfish74 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 22

If the water is not BOILING HOT when you add the creamer, it will not melt completely. It needs to be totally melted and smooth before adding it to the shortening.
The sugar should NOT be added until the shortening and coffee creamer/water mixture is thoroughly mixed and creamy (at least two to three minutes on medium high speed).

These first two steps will determine what kind of icing you will end up with. If they are rushed, you will have a mess.

deah Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 22

I use the premade creamer in mine, normally french vanilla but sometimes I use the flavored ones - toffee is to die for! I have tried the plain creamer but the flavor isn't as good to me.

Oh, instead of the wedding bouquet flavoring that Sharon uses I use vanilla, butter and sometimes a dash of orange.

LindaF144a Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 22

BTW, does anybody have a link to the recipe besides the YouTube video?

srkmilklady Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 22

The recipes are in the recipe section here on cc....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5313/sugarshacks-buttercream-icing
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7325/sugarshacks-buttercream-for-a-6qt-mixer

Just made a batch today and it came out perfectly smooth...the kitchen however was a little messy with powdered sugar everywhere! icon_redface.gif

Thanks Sharon for such a great recipe! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 1:13am
post #15 of 22

oh, since crisco took out the trans....I add a stick of butter.......maybe thats why???? I think sharon may use sweetex? e mail her and ask her

sugarshack Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:54am
post #16 of 22

You have to use a trans fat shortening. If you do, up to half butter is fine.

Grainy icing for me is always one of two things: 1) bad bag of PS
2) incorect shortening

and yes, you have to cream the hot liquids with shortenng first really really well.

HTH

julesh268 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #17 of 22

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I had hot water, but not near boiling. Too hot to touch tough and it looked like it had completely disolved.

I did beat it for a while and it looked smooth as silk.

Still looked good after the first batch of ps went it. Then it went bad.

I am using shortening with transfat.

I *might* try again, but that is a lot of ps and shortening to waste.

Thank you again for the responses!!!

srkmilklady Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:20am
post #18 of 22

Just wanted to mention...when I made my batch I had to add more liquid than is called for. Mine wasn't looking very good when I finished adding all the ps...not smooth at all, so I added about 3 more tbsp of liquid above what was called for and that did the trick for me. Hope you try it again...it really is good and nice to work with.

soupercb Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 2:41am
post #19 of 22

I have had it go grainy twice now. First time I had used store brand ps and thought it was that. This time, used name brand ps. Otherwise, everything is the same as the times I have made it and it turned out great. Try it again, it really is good when it works!

sherry_lyn Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #20 of 22

Are you using pure cane sugar? The store brands almost never say Pure Cane, so the ingredients vary. The "off brand" company's powdered sugar could be pure cane or it could be beet sugar. The same brand could be beet sugar one time & pure cane another time, it just depends on what the company got the best price on for that particular batch. Beet sugar will be a bit grainy-er than pure cane. There are only a few companies that do only pure cane sugar... the only one I can remember right now is Domino, because that's the only one we I have available locally. If it doesn't say "Pure Cane Sugar" on the bag, there's a possibility that it's beet sugar.

soupercb Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:13am
post #21 of 22

yes, it was pure cane.

JanH Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:18am
post #22 of 22
Quote:

I am using shortening with transfat.

SugarShack's recipe uses hi-ratio shortening, which in additon to containing transfat contains more stabilizers & emulsifiers than AP shortening.

Quote:

I *might* try again, but that is a lot of ps and shortening to waste.

Not using the exact ingredients called for in the recipe does change the outcome.....

For example if you heated RTU (ready to use) liquid creamer in place of the reconstituted dry creamer for your liquid that would probably be okay. But the more substitutions you make, such as using AP shortening for the high ratio - the more you're making a different recipe which will yield different results.

And substituting an AP shortening will definitely NOT yield the creamy results that Sugarshack's frosting is known for.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%