What's The Deal With People Saying They Are From Foodnetwork

Lounge By snowshoe1 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:09am by 7yyrt

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 3

I'm getting a little uneasy with phone calls from people saying are looking for people to be on food network. We've gotten several calls who say they are from Food Network when in fact they are casting agents that don't seem to have a lot of credentials.

They always ask for an audition tape, a long application to fill out, etc... (got the same stuff from the WE network last year and even went to an audition in NYC; later found out it was the casting agency who probably submitted a few hundred tapes).

The last one we got even asked for my driver's license, birthdate, etc.. on the form. I never submitted it.

Is this some kind of a scam to get personal information or am I being paranoid? The people that call sound llike 'used car salesmen' (no offense if this is what you do - its only a saying) and keep calling back when I don't return their calls.

2 replies
julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 3

Well, in my "real" job I am a cop. I would highly recommend that you supply zero information to an unsolicited call. If they sound legit, ask for the info in writing. When you get it, Google the name/address/phone number seperately and see what pops up. If it is a scam there will likely be a lot of hits on it. If it isn't you should be directed to a legit website.

Never never never give your driver's license number or social security number.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:09am
post #3 of 3

Request they remove your name from their call list.
Legally, if you request they remove it, they must do so or face large fines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%