5X7 Or 8X10 Photos?

Business By shorty56 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm by dchockeyguy

shorty56 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 6

i was just wondering if you all generally use 5x7's or 8x10's for your portfolios? i started off with 8x10s, but switched to 5x7s, and i've been doing the smaller photos for the past 2 years. i recently came across some "advice" that said 8x10's are better/more professional/brides prefer it. does any one agree? does it make a difference? this "advice" indicated that anyone using a 5x7 was trying to hide mistakes/flaws in their cakes, which i found offensive. i use 5x7 because they're less expensive! but do brides generally think its to hide poor quality cakes?

5 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

Our portfolio is all 8 x 10". I think it is the quality of the photo that is important. It's seldom that we can get the photographer to send us his/her picture so often we don't include a bad picture that we took on our site or our portfolio.

Its very rare that we photoshop out any flaws as most people don't notice these.

jenmat Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

I have 4X6s. Never occurred to me that size would be an issue. I guess I could see why in bigger areas people would worry about misrepresentation, but in my area most it wouldn't even cross their minds.
I'm looking to purchase an Ipad soon in order to digitize the portfolio, that way BandGs zoom in on a particular part of each cake, and I don't have to develop photos. Everyone wins. (or so I hope)

sweetcakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:53am
post #4 of 6

Do you think brides really prefer to turn pages and look at actual photographs or is it ok just to open your portfolio folder on your laptop and scroll through the pictures? Ive been wondering if i should print mine up or not.

shorty56 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:50am
post #5 of 6

sweetcakes, my personal thought is that brides want something easy to navigate and look through. its nice to have a book that they can hold in their lap easily, and save pages if they find something they like. it doesnt sound very comfortable or easy to try and look at pics on a laptop.

dchockeyguy Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 6

Personally, I say 8x10. I think the bigger pictures look better. However, if you want to focus in on details of a cake, as opposed to the whole cake, I would do those in smaller photos on the opposite page from the 8x10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%