Homemade Turntable??

Lounge By holliellen Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm by Kayakado

holliellen Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering if anyone has ever made a homemade turntable? I have a cheapo lazy suzan that maybe I could put a board or something on???? I am going to Michaels tomorrow but online they only had a 12 inch cheapo looking one and I want to buy a nicer one but need it for this weekend and its too short of time to order one online. I live in a very rural area. Any help would be great!

9 replies
CWR41 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 10
Originally Posted by holliellen

have a cheapo lazy suzan

I'd keep using what you have for this weekend and order the one that you really want for the future. You won't regret purchasing a professional one if you anticipate using it a lot.

LisaPeps Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

Just a random idea which popped into my head which I stress I haven't tried... but... maybe you could use the rotator ring from a microwave, maybe you could attach that to a piece of wood (wood being in place of the usual microwave plate) {drilling it in would probably be best so it is sturdy and then have the little wheels "running" inside a groove put into another piece of wood.

This is what I mean by rotator ring

I'm not sure of implications involved with putting weight on those little wheels but something along those lines might work....

didavista Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 10

Remember when T.V's were bulkier and there was that square thingy that you put under it to swivel it....Well I found one at a garage sale a couple of years ago for a buck, and use it all the time for the larger sheet cakes. icon_lol.gif

Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 10

I made one. I ordered a 9" - 750lbs bearing and mounted it to a 12" x 1" round wooden disc. I painted the wood then sealed it with 5 coats of marine grade polyurethane. On the bottom I put a piece of the rubber non-skid shelf material. I love it! I can put any size cake on it & and it will hold me and my heaviest cake!

holliellen Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:39am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the ideas guys. I should of said the turntable I have now is not for cakes i use it for my cleaning supplies but I was thinking of just putting a board over it and using it as the base. I will look at michaels tomorrow and see how much theirs is. I have a 50% off coupon too so once I know how much it will cost I will decide if I want to go to the trouble of making something or getting the cheapo one for now. I REALLY want a tilting one! Thanks again everyone!

CWR41 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:50am
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by holliellen

I REALLY want a tilting one!

You may want to read some reviews online, the tilting ones have lots of complaints about them and they aren't very heavy duty or professional.

Check out some of the turntable threads on here too...
(there are lots more--these are some from a search for "tilt and turntable").

Which Cake Turntable??:

Is a (Wilton) tilting turn table worth investing in?:

Turntable... tilt or no tilt? What is your preferrence?:

What piece of of equipment you regret buying:

in the market for a turntable - any recommendations?:

the death of a turntable...:

New Turntable....:

Tilt Turntable and Pasta Machine:

Which turntable would you buy?:

Tilting Turntable:

That #%@&**! Wilton Turn Table(Long):

Need to vent! wilton tilting turn table:

Wilton Tilting Cake Turntable:

Wilton Tilting Turntable turns tipsy:

Tilted Tourntable?!?!:

Are the tilting turntables worth the extra $$??:

Please Help!! Turntable question!:

Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 10

I still have my tilting one, but I never used the tilt part and when doing a heavy cake, I nearly snapped it, when I put the cake on a little off center.

holliellen Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, I never really thought of that on a tilting one. I am so glad for you guys and CC.
Thanks Again,

Kayakado Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 10

I have a friend who buys things at yard sales and gives them to her friends. Only problem is she has no idea what constitutes a good design.

She bought a turntable and thought it would be good for decorating cakes. It would have been good for some hobbies but not for one where it needs to be washed. The top was formica and the rest was like countertops (compressed wood particles), As soon as it was washed a few times, it started to flake.

I found a new commercial Ateco 12" turntable w/pad for less than $55.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%