How To Attach Multiple Ribbons On Fondant Cake

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 2:09am by KTB4

cathyscakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

First time using ribbon on a wedding cake. I was wondering how to attach the ribbon. The cake will have ribbons wrapped around the cake in several areas. How does the ribbon stay in place, afraid it will slip if only attacked in the back. Want it to have a clean look, so not sure how putting dots of royal in several places will look. Wish I could coat the whole ribbon with something for attaching. Just not sure what. Also what happens to ribbon if refrigerated.

7 replies
holliellen Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 8

All great questions. I have never used ribbon before so I am going to be watching this one!

Toptier Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

Piping gel works great, just test it with your particular ribbon.

cathyscakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 8

Is there a type of ribbon that works better for attaching to fondant. Florist ribbon? Does anyone know about putting ribbon in the refrigerator. I always use fillings that need refrigeration, so was wondering if the ribbon would stay attached, I know how fondant sweats sometimes.

Toptier Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 8

I used satin ribbon, the piping gel worked great, just paint it on the back. I refrigerate all my cakes and had no problem.

Karen421 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 8

Just make sure your ribbon doesn't bleed. I had that happen once!

strathmore Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 8

I would wet the ribbon in water, then run it through a tea towel between my fingers to get off the excess so its just damp not wet and then place on the cake and run over it with a soft paintbrush to stick it on. You can still adjust the ribbon while its still damp and slippery on the fondant. Once it dries its stuck. If its just round the cake I just stick it on at the back but pull it so its firm but not cutting into the cake.

KTB4 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 2:09am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

I would wet the ribbon in water, then run it through a tea towel between my fingers to get off the excess so its just damp not wet and then place on the cake and run over it with a soft paintbrush to stick it on. You can still adjust the ribbon while its still damp and slippery on the fondant. Once it dries its stuck. If its just round the cake I just stick it on at the back but pull it so its firm but not cutting into the cake.

Now THAT is a genius idea!!! Where were you in September when I was doing my first wedding cake and wrestling with this same problem? LOL

I cannot wait to try it again now icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%