Using Something Other Than Acetate To Wrap Chocolate On Cake

Decorating By Diana264 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 2:55pm by Diana264

Diana264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana264 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 11

I love the candle cakes that I have seen posted and would like to make one. I like the look of the wrapped chocolate. All the tutorials I have read spread the melted chocolate on acetate to transfer the chocolate onto the cake. I would like to make this cake for Saturday, so ordering acetate sheets online would not get it here in time. I have called all cake/ chocolate supply companies in the area (Des Moines, IA), no one sells food grade acetate sheets. Is there any other product I can use?

10 replies
Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

how about a flexible cutting board sheet (do you know what I mean?) or wax paper. where did you find the tutorials on wrapping chocolate? I'm interested in those candle cakes also

nevermind, I found the tutorials.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 11

i've never tried this, but could parchment paper or maybe a silicon mat work?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 11

I have used both parchment paper and wax paper. The results aren't quite as good since the paper isn't as stiff as acetate and might warp a little. I have also used sheet protectors (they are acetate) cut to size and taped together to get the length I need (washed first). I don't know if they are food safe, but they are pvc free since they are for archiving pictures. So it's up to you if you want to try that route.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 11

Try the arts&crafts store, even Michaels. I found some at a local store. in big rolls even, yes, its food grade. Turned out fab (in my pix).

I did a "test" try on wax paper, test try on Reynolds Wrap, and test on parchment paper. Since this was my first choc wrap, then the recommended acetate paper was really the way to go. Be worth calling all the stores!

HTH!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 11

The problem with a silicone mat, like Silpat, is that it is textured. If you don't mind that texture, I think it would work. Otherwise, I think I would go for waxed paper. One other thought is to see if any of the sources near you sell chocolate transfer sheets. Those really are the right kind of surface. If you don't like the transfer pattern, you can use the other side.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 11

Hi and welcome to CC. I'm a fairly new decorator (9 months) and have tried two chocolate wrapped cakes with great success, although a LOT of mess!!! I also did NOT have acetate at the time, nor could I get any for a while so I used freezer paper.

Here's the forum thread that got me started. It has nearly all the information or links you will need:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599861-chocolate.html

Buy Reynolds freezer paper at the supermarket. The roll will be huge and should cost about $6-8. Don't worry, you can use the extra to lay down on your work areas for all cake/candy projects and it makes for easy cleanup. Use the SHINY side of the freezer paper. It will not be as stiff as acetate, but it will work.

Let the chocolate "set up" for a moment before wrapping (I used mine while still hot, oops! I threw hot melted chocolate all over me, my hair, my clothes, my counters, kitchen, floor, but managed to get MOST of it on my first wrapped cake.) You can see my 2nd choc wrapped cake by clicking on the www icon at the bottom of this post. Feel free to send a private message if you need more info from another newbie. To send a private message you click on the pm icon at the bottom of this post.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 11

perhaps you can stiffen the wax/parchment/freezer paper with some contact paper stuck to it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 11

The shinier the surface you pour the chocolate on, the shinier your chocolate wrap will be--that's one of the reason for using acetate.

If shine isn't an issue, then freezer wrap (shiny side), parchment, a flexible cutting board, and wax paper will work, too.

Rae

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Rae, I guess I never thought about the shiny-ness of the chocolate! icon_smile.gif

Diana264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana264 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I am definitely going to try a chocolate wrap soon, but I think I am going to give up on the candle cake for this weekend. I did a trial run with baking my "candles" in cans last night...what a mess! I filled them 2/3 of the way and they ran all over the place (luckily I had them on a baking sheet). Then parts of them still weren't cooked and one of them tasted like the food that had been in the can (okay, so I shouldn't have used the can with sauerkraut LOL). You are all so helpful, I am sure I will be looking to you for more advice. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%